pumpkin for deworming

I gave a cinderella pumpkin to the girls yesterday, (it's a bright orange red squash, you can eat it like an acorn squash or use it for pies)

When I brought it up from the basement for dinner, there was a mold spot on it, but when I cut it open, it was fine. I cut all the mold out, cut out the seeds, and baked it, and gave it to the girls.

I noticed one has diarrhea this morning, and another girl had some smut on her butt....normal after effect or should I be concerned?

It was very cold yesterday so I gave them a little pork fat...a little 1 1/2 oz for the 7 of them. (cooked) and also sprouts, (a huge variety) as they've destroyed their run. I measure the quanities, though.

the seeds should be raw otherwise they wont work as a de-wormer, I know that the raw pumpkin and seeds causes orange runny poo at times and that is normal, I dont know about the cooked kind.

Has anyone one seen any scietific proof that this works? All I have ever found is word of mouth no real test and no proof whats so ever. As far as backyard chickens artical again there is no real sciece proof. For real proof one must test chickens first for worms then feed pumkin then test again. Since this has not been done it is all guessing that it works.

I don't know about a study to scientifically prove it.

People have been using herbs for medicinal purposes longer than the "medicines" that are used to treat today's illnesses. If it will help keep them worm free, then I'm all for it. I also chop up garlic tops and feed those as a preventative as well. I try to do things with my chickens/garden organically, so if it works, great! If not, then I guess I'll find out when my chickens get worms.

For your info: Here's what the article says from Backyard Poultry October/November 2009 regarding pumpkins:

"Pumpkin meat, and especially the seeds, are a remedy that was famous in the 19th century for treating tapeworms in people. Pumpkin owes it's antiparasitic properties to the protein cucurbitan in the seed. It anesthetizes the worm, but the results could be variable due to the uncertain concentration of this constituent in the seed."

It goes on to say: "Along with cucurbitan, the seeds are sweet, moist and nutritive. Besides fat and protein, the seeds are high in minerals and vitamins, especially zinc, and can be very supportive to the immune system."

It also sites garlic, dandelion and carrots for their health benefits to chickens.

Ok, I must be a moron because I can't see how my chickens could choke down a whole raw pumpkin seed...what am I missing? I have bantams, so do they make mini pumpkin seeds for them? Do mini pumpkin seeds come in mini pumpkins? Oh, and last question, if a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? Am I making ya'll think yet?
hu.gif

Kristen

Mine just got the our last pumpkin this morning. It took them about 15 minutes to clean it out down to the skin. They love them.

Trees make a whale of a sound when they fall in the forest!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
best to grind them in a blender (seeds) so that you break them up easier to eat and releases the chemical that does the "worming" but yes a chook can choke one down. And yes mini pumpkins have mini seeds but not very many.
smile.png

no the tree is silent until proven otherwise
wink.png

Off the topic of pumpkins, which my chickens absolutely love, I gave my chickens (23) about 1/2 head of red cabbage and 1/2 of green cabbage mixed together. One of my chickens, Amalie, always had little white polka dots on one end of all the eggs she laid, and after eating the red cabbage the polka dots came out purple instead of white.
ep.gif
I guess if you fed a chicken some food sprinkled with turmeric, it is possible that the polka dots might be yellow, then. That was about 4 months ago, and the polka dots are STILL purple!

Back
Top Bottom