1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pumpkin Guts

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickencoop789, Aug 22, 2012.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    As you all know, fall is just around the corner. Im already thinking about carving pumpkins. I was wondering if chickens can eat pumpkin guts. I thought that throwing all of the guts into their run would be easier than picking out the seeds. Does anyone know?

2. Smcgee97

Smcgee97 New Egg

Aug 21, 2012
    North Alabama
    pumpkin guts are fine. although they prefer the rind

3. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    From what I have heard, pumpkin is a natural dewormer and I think the seeds are too. So give them the guts! Its good for them :)

4. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Brings back memories of last fall, my girls loved the pumpkins. After halloween I put a carved pumpkin in the run and got some great pictures of chicken butts. They would go to town on the pumpkins!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, chickens love the seeds and guts. The pumpkins too!

6. Peringle

Peringle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    I know this is an old thread, I just didn't want to start a new when this was already around. My chicks love pumpkin guts! We only have two that are around 3-4 weeks old and we have two kids each with their own pumpkin. Can the pumpkin guts be frozen and giving to the chicks at a later date? I don't want to over feed them with pumpkin. So I was hoping to freeze them and use them as treats later on.

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My Garbarator hens will eat almost anything but when it comes to pumpkin guts ...FUGGET ABOUT IT.
    They look at me like I dropped out of a dogs' butt. THE DREADED STINK-EYE.
    I don't know what's wrong with them. STOOPID CHICKENS.

1 person likes this.
  8. farmchickutah

farmchickutah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Mine LOVE pumpkin guts and the pumpkin! Took some out to them yesterday and they went nuts for it!

9. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I gave mine the guts of my pumpkins but instead they only went for the jack o lanterns! :/ haha

10. Evewon

Evewon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014

Hilarious!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by