Pumpkin Hulsey Color Genetics?

Their phenotypes do seem to vary. Since no-one else has thus far.....I'll have a guess .
tongue.png

eWh, Db,(maybe & Co) Di & Mh with some of these being heterozygous giving the colour variations when some of the gens are not present? Some appear to have Bl both split & maybe pure.
The little pullet looks eWh, Mh, either of those het or pure.
I wonder whether the white ones could be with Di but lacking Mh?

Very interesting color. In seramas it is called butterscotch. In friesian fowl it is called "zandgeel" = sandcolor/sandyellow.

In play is i.m.o. some form of autosomal red and/or mahogany coloring the hackles and tail.

Columbian would not permit red leakage (creamy effect) in the silver form, again i.m.o.
Db maybe, but the hens do not look columbian-like restricted, just normal wheaten look.

So what I think is that these are wheatens that have been selected against black (like going from buff columbian to all buff).
Henny feathering would have such an effect on male color but their featherform does not look that way (or does it?).

In the red form the hackles look diluted. Since autosomal red works better on the body and might be less affected by gold diluters, those would make sense being in there.

Mind boggling
smile.png

You'll have a hard time figuring out the genes in the color probably friend. Pumpkin hulseys were originally red gamefowl called "Hulseys" and were crossed with a "pumpkin rooster" (So im guessing from unknown heritage)... I know where a history on them is for anyone who wants to see it. Gamefowl are just a lot of crosses, and then after they leave the original owners hands they are bred to other things coming from crosses to increase whatever that owner was looking for.. Like every breed, just crosses that come to look a certain way.. So who knows what is hidden in there.

Last edited:
Quote:
Your first pic at the top and the white one at the bottom here are spectacular and breathtaking. WOW!

I beleive it is a hypomelanistc form of the Black breasted reds.Hypo is asimple recessive gene that lacks black pigments. Hence the brown tails and orange coloration. Or possibly a hypo xanthic. xanthis is a over abundance of the yellow pigment. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom