Pumpkin Hulsey feather color

nick77

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 12, 2009
new hampshire
How long does it take for a young cockeral to grow into it's brilliant orange and red hues. I have two cockerals about six months old and they still have the pale colors of immaturity. I was told it takes up to two years for their color to fully develop. Is this true? I expected to see something by now. The two pullets I have are the usual white with brown tail. Anybody familiar with these birds?

Quote:
This is about average for games, as for your pumpkin they may always stay that way. You should know after the first molt.. Pumpkin hulseys come in different shades, the beautiful solid "buff" color many people like, light orange, the beautiful orange color with pale (or white) shoulders, near solid white, and sometimes white with a pumpkin tail (and occasionally hackles etc). Kind of a mystery.. I've seen some come close to a wheaten, but this could be from being crossed or possibly a throwback to the original red Hulseys.

-Daniel.

I will let you know in a few monthes
tongue.png
here are mine
31967_henely_hatchery_chicks_024.jpg

Quote:
I don't think so, but i haven't experimented with them or read very much on them color-genetic wise. Chickenlover, who'd you get your pumpkins from if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
I don't think so, but i haven't experimented with them or read very much on them color-genetic wise. Chickenlover, who'd you get your pumpkins from if you don't mind me asking?

I got them from Green Fire Farms

I got mine from Paul Bradford at Greenfire Farms also. I just hope they molt out to look like his roosters do.

Hi, I finally got my first crow on one of my Pumpkin Hulsey's..... He's pretty but I have a wide variation of colors in my straight run of chicks I bought - all from greenfire ....I surely hope I have some girls.... (They ran 3 weeks to 6 weeks apart in ages but wow, I have a really wild range in colors of feathers on all of them)
8875_121foodandrabbits_027.jpg

So how long until you get eggs from the ladies? Thanks and have a blessed day. Nancy

Back
Top Bottom