Pumpkin Hulseys Disposition

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by enggass, Jan 5, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    How do Pumpkin Hulseys get along with other LF breeds of chicken being that they are a Gamefowl?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Real ones arent supposed to but if you get them from Greenfire Farms stock, those arent "Game"and I have a young pair of their Hulseys, and the roo isnt quite mature yet but his still gets his but kicked by my other LF breed hens. But they are the sweetest birds I have, I have only had them for about a month and no effort was put into taming them before I got them and they were still super friendly when I got them and now they will fly up to my shoulder and perch there like parrots and and are the only birds I have that will come to me without me having to catch them so I like mine, but real gamefowl arent supposed to get along with other roosters and mine hasnt shown any aggression towards other roosters, just the dog.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I agree with Rareroo.....I have one dozen of different ages. Greenfire farms family stock...They seem very sweet.....I'm still trying to find out how many girls and how many boys. Our are still in very large breeder cages so I haven't integrated with large birds. Although I do have one lovely rooster who patrols my brooder area and he seems totally uninterested in them. I don't see them as "gamey"..... I just pray I have enough girls to have a small flock of them.... I love their colors....Just gorgeous. I hope to have a little set of egg layers and mother hen incubators after a few more months... Time will tell me how many hens!

Have a blessed day. Nancy

-------------------------------------

Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing!

4. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    My plan is to get some eggs and hatch along with some other breeds - Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, Marans and such.
    I will have to re-home the Roos of all at some point due to 'noise' restrictions (my DW) so i was mainly concerned about the PH Roos getting along with the other Roos until such time that I have to re-home or process. 12-16 weeks.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Are you getting them from Greenfires stock or an actuall gamefowl breeder ?

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    No. Not Greenfire Farms. A girl in Indiana named Kim. Thinking of getting 1/2dz hatching eggs in March. They are raised as pets - not fighting or showing.
    Still not sure yet - doing more research. They seem pretty cool though. I need a cool breed that lays white eggs. My goal this spring is to hatch a variety of cool breeds that produce different colored eggs.
    White, Brown, Dark Brown, Copper Brown, Blue/Green, Olive and hopefully purple. We'll see how it goes [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by