Punctured lung on duck

dirtyduckfarmr

Hatching
Nov 7, 2016
New to the forum although I have read a lot of Great advice!
Well 2 days ago a dog got a hold of my 12 week old blue Swedish duck and punctured underneath her right side wing! She didn't move and was bleeding from her mouth and gargling the blood. You can tell her right lung completely collapsed. Called the vet and explained situation and they gave me instructions on euthanasia. I wanted to see what direction she'd go. I cleansed the puncture and tried to prop her up to drain blood so it wouldn't drown out her lung. Well, the bleeding stopped and she has perked up, She's drinking but not eating. My concern is infection besides basic wound care I'm concerned with her teal green poop! This is bew without change in diet. I sent my hubby to get some duramycine. Is there anything else to do? Does anyone if lungs heal? She is in the quiete warm duck hospital inside so keeping all sterile...

Last edited:
Maybe it's NOT the same with chickens but, both my uncle and cousin had collapsed lungs from smoking. The doctors didn't euthanize them. I don't recall how it was treated but they both recovered and were told NOT to smoke again . My dad quit smoking cold turkey. My cousin went back to smoking like a chimney - he did not have a good outcome.

Smoking isn't the only reason for a collapsed lung, like your duck it can be from a puncture. Have you posted in full detail at "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread??

They may be able to help you. Just realize if you go off line, you will never seen replies from them. I hope he will be okay. Puncture wounds can be infected and need antibiotics.

Keep monitoring her beak, oral cavity, eyes, ears and head. The puncture wound by a dog tooth may seal over quickly and look innocuous but can produce bacteria inside.Therefore careful triage is essential.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I am very sorry to hear about your duck
sad.png
I don't know anything about ducks so I'll let the folks in the duck forum take care of that! I hope you enjoy BYC and best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom