Punkie the partidge silkie...Boy or girl? 6 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teresaann24, May 13, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I asked when punkie was about 3-4 weeks old and by her markings everyone said she was a she. Punkie is 6 weeks old now and I wanted to ask again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Punkie looks like a girl.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Anyone eles wanna throw in there opinion?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Punkie is a pretty little girl [​IMG]

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    a girl that much bigger/fatter than the others? i dunno, maybe it's all poof. she has more hen-like characteristics though. beats me [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Partridge males have a completely different colouring. I don't think anything was said that indicated that all birds are the same age.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I didn't know that silkies had male and female coloring differences? Is this true for all colors of silkies or just partridge? I have 4 silkies of an unknown color (they were yellowish as tiny chicks) in my brooder now and was just wondering. I've always thought you had to wait till they were much older to be able to sex them. Sorry to butt in on the post, had just never heard this before and am curious.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Punkie is 6 weeks old the other chicks are going on 4 weeks old. Thats why punkie is bigger then the other chicks..LOL

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I didn't know that silkies had male and female coloring differences? Is this true for all colors of silkies or just partridge?

Most silkies do not; partridge and grey are the exception. Different appearance of male and female plumage is common in many breeds; those varieties, however are not recognised for silkies.​

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have another partridge chick that is going on 3 weeks old. It has the lacing like Punkie on its wing feathers too...Can i expect it to be female too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by