Puppies killed my chickens!

Quote:
seriously, before taking ANY action (including taking the dogs to the pound) call the police and file a report. Do it today, since the attack was recent. Tell the officer you have tried to get in contact with them yourself to handle it "in a neighborly fashion" but have been unsuccessful. The cops will handle it from there and WILL get in contact with the owners. They will also be able to advise you on what you can do with the dogs. In some areas, animal control will come out and collect the animals from the neighbor's property.

Also, the police will inform them of what type of compensation they owe you - $20/bird is typical for birds that are laying. In some states, like WV, they will HAVE to dispose of the dogs because it is illegal to own an animal that has killed livestock.

ETA: all of the suggestions to sell the dogs could end up with YOU in trouble with the law for stealing their dogs. Even sending them to the pound, unless you have proof such as a police report that the neighbor's have been warned to confine their dogs.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry! Make a police report and you have the right to your money back. I heard the recovery is $40-50 per bird lost. It's awful this happened. We had to make sure the neighbors dog couldn't eat out chicks and made a very secure run and a 100% predator proof coop. Just because they won't keep him in his yard full time. Their dog is in our yard and tries to kill our cats!

Back
Top Bottom