Puppy Food Change

Malibu99

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
We recently got a new puppy (about a month ago) and bought a bag of her old food. We haven't been able to find that brand, Puppy Pro Pac, around here. We'd have to drive 2-4 hours to go get a new bag which we don't have time to do. We have no choice but to switch her... and she ran completely out of Pro Pac. We got her one with similar ingredients, but the kibbles are smaller. Yesterday, she ate a bit to quickly, and it wasn't pretty. This morning I gave her a little at a time and she seems fine. Is there anything we can do to help her adjust better? Thanks.

Last edited:
How old is she? Puppies do not have as delicate digestive systems as adults. That being said, you can add raw egg and rice to help her adjust, and most store sell what is called a slow feeder bowl, which is perfect for training dogs to slow down when eating. For the most part, everything should be fine. If she does show some adverse symptoms for the abrupt change, it won't last long.

you can also just spread her food out on a baking sheet. It will take her longer to eat

That's a good idea too! We foster mother and puppies for local shelters and rescues, so I will defiantly be using that method at some point!

Yeah, little bits at a time should be fine! You can even spread the portions out throughout the day to help her digest it as she goes. Generally though, I find puppies do alright with food changes.

If she is gobbling up her food then throwing it up, two things come to mind. She needs more meals or the food your feeding doesn't agree with her. Ive fed raw for years (I have German Shepherds) and even fed raw to my rescue dogs. If you find that raw isn't your thing, cook the food for her. She will be healthier and you dont have to worry about a recall. If you insist on feeding dog kibble, here are some brands for you to consider:

Canidae
Merrick
Orijen

To my knowledge these companies have NOT had any recalls in recent years.

Some good foods that have had recalls unfortunately:

Taste of the Wild
Solid Gold

Barb

If she is gobbling up her food then throwing it up, two things come to mind. She needs more meals or the food your feeding doesn't agree with her. Ive fed raw for years (I have German Shepherds) and even fed raw to my rescue dogs. If you find that raw isn't your thing, cook the food for her. She will be healthier and you dont have to worry about a recall. If you insist on feeding dog kibble, here are some brands for you to consider:

Canidae
Merrick
Orijen

To my knowledge these companies have NOT had any recalls in recent years.

Some good foods that have had recalls unfortunately:

Taste of the Wild
Solid Gold

Barb

I don't do raw food, but I do give raw cow vertebrae from my local butcher. For food I like Beaverdam Pet Foods because they aren't a huge chain or large company made food. They are a small family run business that makes and distributes their food in Delaware. Plus they use some descent ingredients. I get some beef scraps, pork scraps and chicken livers and such from my butcher and cook a big pot of it mixed with just water, eggs and a few diced carrots, and add it to my dogs grain free food for each meal. I use it on my fosters as well, and I adore the Beaverdam Puppy Food for my foster pups!

Just fed her nightly portion, she's doing fine with it now. I'm assuming that it wasn't the actual food that was bothering her. I still give her a bit at a time but am slowly increasing it. It's working well :) As for raw feeding, I would love to but I really cannot at this time. The only place I can get my food is at PetSmart, as there's nowhere else near here that sells puppy food, so I had to choose something from their selection. I'll keep the baking sheet idea in mind as well. Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom