Puppy training advice

Pics
guess my one piece of advice is win. If it takes 6.5 hours to do so, win. Doesn’t take being harsh, physical or mean. Just takes thought. You need to be alpha in your pack.
I like this. I used to tell my students, if your dog jumps on you 200 times, block him (with your knee) 201. I use what I call a "Red Light, Green Light" technique. For example, jumping up: Red light means you block the dog when he jumps up. Green light is, as soon as all four of the dog's feet are on the ground, you praise and pet. There has to be a contrast between the action you don't want and the action you do want. Catch him doing it right and reward him. Immediately! He can learn what you want him to do in literally minutes, if you are consistent and your timing is accurate. Make a game of it! Have fun!

In my previous life in another state, fences were an absolute must for two reasons: traffic and livestock. In the populated areas, dogs would get run over if allowed to run free. And in the unincorporated areas, ranchers would shoot them. So people had fences. So yeah, if I were a breeder, or rescued and fostered dogs, i would require a fenced yard. But out here, practically nobody has fences. And yes. You do see dead dogs on the highway, sadly. People seem to consider dogs fairly disposable. Apparently they just get another dog, and another, until they happen to get one smart enough to stay off the pavement, I guess. Or maybe their dog survives an encounter with an automobile and gets smart. Idk, as @KDOGG331 says. It's sad.
That’s really sad. :(

If I were I breeder.. Oh man,you'd have to come with a resume with all your research, a would need to see where the puppy would stay, if they had a good setup prepared, i would probably have little dogs so no kids or future kids, they'd have have experience with dogs and smaller dogs, and I'd have to have updates for the first month or so and at least twice a year. And, the dogs would probably be very very expensive, not that I really care about making a whole lot of money off it (beside to spoil my dogs), but just to be sure they go to a good home, in a good neighborhood, and that the people really care about dogs and would be willing to pay for a good breeder. I would also have a nursery setup made for royalty, and an area for the mom to lounge and still watch the puppies. When I'm older and have my own house, I'll setup a full nursery room for any future puppers.

That’s the thing, when you price your dogs at what they’re worth, the people that are contacting you about purchasing one are pretty knowledgeable about the breed. From my experience, everyone who has bought a puppy from me has done their research and had the proper set up to keep a German Shepherd happy. Small dogs are fine.. but you TRULY have to know what you’re doing when it comes to raising a shepherd.

That’s really sad. :(

This happens when you get a free dog or spend $100 on one.. when you’re spending upwards of $1000 on a dog or more, you’re pretty serious about owning one. Like I said, when I rehome my dogs, the last thing I worry about is whether or not the dog will be taken care of. My people come and visit their puppy regularly while they grow, and we pretty much stay in contact once puppy goes home. I see all the pups I have sold at LEAST twice a year. And that’s not a requirement (but I do love it) the people who buy these dogs are just so in love with them that they are the proudest of parents! Here’s a little girl who picked her puppy out when he was only 2 weeks old, dad paid the deposit (which is non refundable, if someone changed their mind, they forfeit their deposit) and they came to see him every single weekend until it was time for him to go home. About 2 weeks after they went home, dad sent me this pic of her and her pup at the vet. We talk to them pretty much weekly, they check in and so do we. Breeding isn’t always a sketchy transaction, when someone cares about their dogs and puts time and money into them, THATS BREEDING! these people selling muts (mixed breeds) from their backyard for $50 is NOT.

Attachments

• 5C48086A-4A00-4882-A64E-10D73D99581D.jpeg
    5C48086A-4A00-4882-A64E-10D73D99581D.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1
This happens when you get a free dog or spend $100 on one.. when you’re spending upwards of $1000 on a dog or more, you’re pretty serious about owning one. Like I said, when I rehome my dogs, the last thing I worry about is whether or not the dog will be taken care of. My people come and visit their puppy regularly while they grow, and we pretty much stay in contact once puppy goes home. I see all the pups I have sold at LEAST twice a year. And that’s not a requirement (but I do love it) the people who buy these dogs are just so in love with them that they are the proudest of parents! Here’s a little girl who picked her puppy out when he was only 2 weeks old, dad paid the deposit (which is non refundable, if someone changed their mind, they forfeit their deposit) and they came to see him every single weekend until it was time for him to go home. About 2 weeks after they went home, dad sent me this pic of her and her pup at the vet. We talk to them pretty much weekly, they check in and so do we. Breeding isn’t always a sketchy transaction, when someone cares about their dogs and puts time and money into them, THATS BREEDING! these people selling muts (mixed breeds) from their backyard for $50 is NOT.
That's adorable. :love Beautiful pup!

I did research for a year and looked for a good breeder for about 4-5 months before finding an AKC breeder in Orlando. The breeder gave us a number of a person who had gotten two of her Yorkies, Olivia and Diesel. She showed us about a million pictures of the two spoiled pups too. The breeder was very nice and open about everything unlike some breeders who just wanted a quick buck. We paid a deposit when she was around 3-4 weeks old. The dad had just gotten neutered and the mom was to be spayed once the puppies were a bit older, and the two of them had only had puppies together twice before after an appropriate amount of time. The breeder sent lots of cute photo of her and even of video of Rosie 'singing' happy birthday on my birthday! When we went to pick her up all the puppies had already been picked up beside her brother which was to be picked up later that day. There were also some adorable Dorkie pups (Dachshund and Yorkie mix). Both litters looked well taken care of. We went to meet the parents too. They both had very pretty coats, the mom was silver and gold, and the dad was blue and tan with a hint of reddish color around the face (which Rosie had in her ears). They mom was very sweet and the dad seemed a bit protective of his baby, but he warmed up to us. Rosie was way to small for the harness we got her (which was tiny) but she settled in her car seat with lots of blankets. Since she wasn't buckled we just made sure she did't try to crawl out. Teddy was at our grandparents house and they had just parked at our house so Teddy could meet her. We let them meet in the driveway so Teddy wouldn't feel too territorial, and though we were going to let them walk together Rosie was too tired and little. I also didn't want her picking up anything in the grass. We just set Rosie in her playpen to nap for a while and when she woke up she would only stay on the blanket lol. Now she prefers the cool tile.
1593981192884.png

1593981216256.png

1593981293030.png

1593981336785.png

We got her July 21st, so I'm going to send the breeder lots of pictures from all the holidays and such then

Attachments

• 1593981274289.png
    1593981274289.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Oh yeah, definitely agree and kinda preaching to the choir a bit! Haha absolutely ageee and you sound great! It’s all the backyard breeders etc. that are definitely a big problem and give breeders a bad name! But that said, I also think that some of these people would treat an animal poorly regardless of how much they spent on it. For me, I wouldn’t treat $1000 or $2000 or whatever dollar dog any better or worse than I would treat a free one. I love all animals. And we’ve had free dogs before and purchased dogs. Love them all. Some people seem to think dogs are just an accessory or something though. To me their family no matter how much I got them for.

Back
Top Bottom