Puppy training fail. Help?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Miss Red, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I haven't posted in a while. Really hectic life, you all know how that goes. But, it has fallen onto failure to keep up with my 60 lb growing monster of a puppy. Blue is a forever dog, he could never do anything to make me say otherwise. I pulled him out of a ditch (along with mom and sister) back in March. He was roughly four weeks old, and a mangy wormy brat. Mom is gone (too sick to save), and sister is rehomed.

So heres the rundown. In July Blue went to live with my best friend, who was grieving over the loss of her dog. He came home in August, because I missed him more than anyhing else. Somewhere in there he picked up chasing cars, probably due to following her on the Deere but probably not. He got hit by a 3/4 ton truck, barely survived, but is back up to speed. We have been keeping him on a lead and fixed his pen so no more escaping. The problem is, I'm afraid to let him off the lead. Ever. His determination to kill the truck that hit him is unreal. Even when he's in the house he goes bonkers when the neighbor drives by, no matter how many times a day it may be. It is the only vehicle that holds his interest now.

I have tried breaking his attention before the truck gets it, playing games with him, all the things I know to do with this habit. These days, he rarly gets that excited over the truck but it's still there. On this, he has also gained rushing doors as a bad habit from my mothers dog. He will leap and bound and push his way out. Meaning, unleashed terror running excited puppy laps around the house and then the hard time catching him again. He will come when called, happily, unless he thinks were taking away his outside time. Or if he has a bone. Or if there's a squirrel, etc. To try to deter his door rushing we have had drills. I pretend to get ready to go somewhere, go to the door, turn and sit down if he shows interest. I taught him to back up when I go for the door. To wait until commanded. But, if Titan is around there's no stopping them. They barrel their way through. Then for the next few days he is a terror again. I'm worried about these things because I'm getting ready to move to an apartment closer to my grandparents to help them out as much as possible. I'm worried Blue will escape and do his chase me if you can dance at the complex, so I need a few more suggestions. Crate him when I need to go out, every time? Keep up with training and ask for Titan to be trained not to rush as well, even though he's not my dog?

2. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Just thought I would add: I know Blue getting hit was my fault. So, lets skip that fact. He was loose, no leash, on a busy day and I know he chases cars. I just wasn't worried about him getting hit, at the time... I thought he'd stay with me in the coop but for whatever reason he's always hated the truck that hit him. He just hates it exceptionally more now.

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Well, might be time to call in a "professional" to help you get him under control. If you have the time when you are home.. you might try just tying him to you on a short lead. You will be limited to constant "training", but... he will not have any opportunity to "train" himself to do things you don't want him doing. It sounds like torture, more for you than him. But it just might work, and maybe not take as long as you might think. Any how that is my brainy idea...

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    The simple solution, never have him off leash or out of a pen. I have huskies, so this is just the way it is here, because they run. My dogs just don't ever have that type of freedom to be able to learn bad things, that might be your only solution that doesn't cost you a lot of money.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Time for adversion training or training using postive reinforcement if he listens. My last dog was not off the leash for the first year and a half of her life. Not off the leash for the first 6 months in the house either. It teaches the dog that they are to be by your side. I don't know how big this guy is but if you haven't don't, get him "snipped". Get a Halti head collar at PetSmart. You need to take control. IF the dog thinks you are wishywashy, your toast

6. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Quote:Blue was scheduled for a snipping the week he got hit. He is finally "back to normal" and is set to have it done in two weeks.

As for the leash ideas, the house lead isn't needed. As long as I'm indoors I ant get rid of Blue. If I am out of his sight or behind a closed door he goes bonkers and barks until I return. But, outdoors is another thing. I had thought of using my heeler to help show Blue the ropes, but he over powers her on everything. He would drag her around where HE wants to go. So, basically I just need to start finding time to start working with him again. That's what it sounds like after looking the situation over. Leash train, me train, type of situation. I will look into getting help as well.

He does get rewarded for paying ME attention when cars go by. Gets loved on and petted until they pass to keep his attention. It helps that he's glued to me via leash these days. I will definitely give the head collar a try, but do I need one seeing as when he's on a lead it seems he does NONE of his bad habits? The occasional OMGNEWPERSONTOPETME! Pull but otherwise, nada. Just pays attention to me and what I'm doing. Which, again, after typing that up it's just screaming at me to keep him on the leash as I have been doing.

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Darlin, you are already making excuses for him. You need to take control.

He is to get nothing unless you give it to him. You start with keeping him on a leash 24/7 attached to you unless you are in bed and he is in his crate. For the next week, start feeding him by hand, one piece at a time. If it doesn't come out of your hand, he doesn't get it. You set the time for dinner. He gets 30 minutes to eat. If he, tries to eat your fingers, you make him sit until he is calm and start all over again. He gets no toys except for the ONE you give him. When you are doing playing, you take the toy and put it up. You

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Find a good professional trainer to help you get your dog under control. Attending a dog training class would be a good idea. A professional can help you understand better how to manage your dog.

Your dog sounds like he is an energetic type. Neutering him is the first step in getting him under control, he will not be as aggressive some months after neutering. He needs daily structured exercise so that he is tired out at the end of every day. You can ride a bike and lead him or there are other methods of exercising your dog.

He is not doing all these things because of your mother's dog or other causes. He is doing all these things because he has not been properly trained by his owner - much of this very driven aggressive behavior is also because he has not been neutered. Neutering him will be a good move. My only concern is that as neutering has been put off for so long, neutering may take a long time to affect his behavior, or, because the habits are so entrenched now, it may not help to reduce his aggression. Make no mistake - chasing vehicles is aggression, barging through doors is aggression, etc.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  9. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    welsummerchicks is exactly right. You need some professional help. Someone who can look at this dog and his behavior objectively.The best thing you can do for this puppy is obedience training. It sounds like you are in a bit over your head in this situation and a trainer can help. Loving this guy as much as you do, you'll have a lot more fun with him if he has some better manners. He does sound high energy so remember--a tired puppy is a good puppy. Good luck!

10. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Is there any way you can take a few basic obedience classes at a PetSmart or something? He sounds like a very smart active dog who could use the experience of being out of his yard and around other dogs and still obeying your commands.

But first thing first, go to Walmart and go into the sporting goods section. They will have 100 foot lengths of thin, strong nylon cord. Get one and cut it in half, then cut one of the halves in half. Start him out on the 50 foot one. The nylon is slippery so won't really tangle on anything around your house. Tie one end to his (wide, buckle type)collar and tie a knot in the other end.
    Let him LIVE 24/7 with it. You'll need a couple of days to adjust to the drag, but let him live with it till it frays and looks to break. Then replace it with one of the 25' ones. Then when that one is worn out use the last.

Plan on it taking at least that long to break the habit of dashing.
    When he dashes, either out the door or after the truck - step on it. Don't pick it up, you WILL get a nasty ropeburn. Just yell "Blue, Down!" and step on the rope. Not No, or Stop or Bad Dog. In fact, nothing but praise from you. If he keeps running, you are silent with your foot on the rope. When the rope stops him, lots of Good Dog! and reel him back to you for lots of praise and treats.

I prefer to stop this problem well before it starts, but at this point this is an awful lot better then being hit by a truck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by