Puppy training fail. Help?

The closest petsmart and petco are both in conroe. A 50 mile drive. BUT! I did get ahold of the lady at the local shelter who knows all of the trainers in my area. She is helping me out, and I believe she said they hold puppy classes but he will have to be neutered first. Blue has a scheduled date of January 5th to be cut. He was going to be cut in August, but I will take fault on that one. Being hit by the truck post poned his date until he was clear of breaks and the swelling in his "area" went down enough to get done.

So, now he's rescheduled and I'm on the hunt for puppy classes to help. I picked up a head collar today, and broke out my short leash (2 ft) to keep him close. I am willing to make the drive to the classes held at petsmart after he is snipped, but it'd be nice to find something closer.

This is what I started this morning, if I'm doing something wrong let me know.

Regular routine:
Took him out of his crate, leashed him, went for a 2 mile run.
Out of routine:
I did not take my heeler with me. It was just Bllue and I.

Walked home, let him potty in his regular spots. Had him (still leashed) with me while I fed the birds and horses. As usual, he was crated until I was ready for work. During this time if I went in or out of the house for ANYTHING at all, I made him sit/stay before opening the door. Praising him for being a good patient boy. Then, while I made breakfast he and Trixie(the heeler) were alloweed time in the fenced yard for scheduled morning play time. Leashed him back up, crated them, and left for work. He spent the entire morning attatched to me and being praised for everything he did right. Took a few tries to keep him from going after the door, but it worked.

I'm also looking into dog parks or groups of people who get together for playtime once he's neutered to help him socialize outside of his regular pack. Trixie and him most of the week, my mothers dog two days out of the week. I think that covers his morning routine... Only without the door dashing and chase me games because he was leashed all morning.

Quote:
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom