Purchased A Car the Same Age As me!

NYboy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
White plains
This weekend I purchased a car the same age as me. I was looking to replace a 10 year old pickup truck I have. I went to click on trucks and clicked classic car by mistake. A 1964 restoried Corvair convertible came up. I had a 62 hardtop in high school , a classic back then. I told myself I was only going to look. Love at first sight, Ralph Nader is wrong!

wee.gif

Hahaha! I saw this and thought some kid found a 1992 something or other....1964 was a great year!! Congratulations on finding an old classic. Older is better
wink.png

Love Corvairs! My bikini wearing, cigarette smoking, whiskey drinking Granma used to have a yellow convertible one! We used to drive down to the shore with the top down with her large dark sunglasses and a billowing scarf over her hair. Just like you see pictures of in the movies, lol

Quote:
I don't remember any 60's Mustangs that had their rear ends falling out. I did like the Corvairs though. Is it possible to buy parts for that car?

No the 60s mustang has the gas tank sitting in the trunk held down by little more than its own weight. The only thing between it an the passengers is a foam seat. In an impact front or rear the tank is launched threw the seat on to the passengers where it drenches them in fuel an very often results in them burning to death. Standard practice when restoring old Mustangs is to weld a steel plate between the trunk an back seat an to replace the tank with a fuel cell.

Last edited:
Quote:
The 1960's era Mustangs had their gas tanks under the rear floor pan just like any other pony car. It was a drop in tank and the top of the tank was actually the trunk floor. They did have some problems with it in high speed test. However all cars in the 60's were not very safe in high speed crashes. It couldn't have been too bad back then. It never made the news like the Pintos did. Maybe it has turned in to a problem now, because of all the interest in restoring Mustangs. A 35 year old gas tank isn't quite as strong as it used to be. Now the Pinto had a problem with the gas tanks rupturing. Their tanks were located on the rear side and would rupture when impacted.

What year Mustang are you talking about anyway. The first year was 1964 and 1/2. That's when they were introduced. I've read a lot of Mustang restoration magazines and never seen a steel plate placed between the passenger compartment to use a fuel cell. At least not on a street driven car. It is standard for drag racing cars. That standard applies to a lot of cars depending on which class you are competing in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom