Purchased Ameraucana chicks ?

Deff an ee or as they are called in my area AMERICANAS i have5 hens that look just like yous
smile.png
smile.png

definitely an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana... Ameraucanas have certain colors and specifications, while Easter Eggers are blue/green/white/brown egg layers with the blue egg laying gene somewhere in their heritage...

Easter Eggers often have pea combs, green/slate colored legs, muffs, beards, and mixed coloring. (they can have all or a few of those traits and still be EEs)

Definitely a female with that coloring. And, based on that color which is not recognized in the Ameraucana standard, definitely an easter egger. Feed stores and people who buy/breed/sell chickens from feed stores and hatcheries call them Ameraucanas because that is what the hatcheries sell them as. In most cases it is not that the seller is being dishonest, but they haven't educated themselves to know any better. The good news is that many easter eggers still lay pretty colored eggs (both of mine that are laying lay lovely green eggs) and they can be even better layers than true ameraucanas because hatcheries are breeding solely for egg production whereas breeders are breeding to a written standard with a focus on quality rather than egg production. My most reliable layer is one of my easter eggers who looks very much like the one you posted here.

Thanks for the replies. I kind of suspected she was an EE and not Ameraucana by reading other posts. The best news is that I have a pullet! Several untrained eyes have seen her with her 2 siblings and told me she was a he. The part that had me worried was the fact that she is much bigger than her 2 siblings and her feet and legs are much thicker. The only thing that kept me thinking pullet was the lack of a comb at 9 1/2 weeks. Thanks again Backyardchickensforum!

Back
Top Bottom