Purina’s new mill date code uses Julian calendar

Mine eat whatever I give them and I don't get much waste either way. Every week or so I dump the dust from all the feeders into a pan and make wet mash. They think they're getting a treat. ;)
Mine get mash every day regardless, because they love it so much :D So the dust is really not a problem for me at all. I collect it from the bottom when they empty the feeder, otherwise I just wet some of the crumble. I really enjoy this process, actually. Especially in the winter when I wet it with hot water, and it smells so delicious that I have to stop myself from taking a spoonful :lol: It also reminds me of when I was growing up and grandpa would make similar concoctions for the various farm animals, and it would always smell sooooo good...

I always check the date on bags of feed before buying. Many companies just print it as you or I would, and it’s easy to read. But Purina is different. They used to use a one digit year followed by the abbreviation for the month, then numerical day. But yesterday I got to the store and saw all numerical codes on the Purina feeds. My bag of Flock Raiser was coded 22005. I sent a message to Purina via their website asking them how to decode. Here’s their very prompt reply
“The date code is located at the Bottom of the bag on the long white strip that has the stitching going through it. The date code begins with the 2 digit year, then the Julian Calendar Date, followed by the abbreviation for the manufacturing location, shift and sequencing number. For Example 21 348 IGH 10 would translate to December 14, 2021 at the IGH feed plant on the first shift.”
I guess it’s time to learn about Julian dates! My bag, 22005, would be 2022 Jan 05, which is fairly fresh. Today‘s date, 2-22-22, would be 22053. 🤨. Anyway, thought you all would like to know about the new code. 🧐. Happy shopping!
Edited to add, see post #7.

I always check the date on bags of feed before buying. Many companies just print it as you or I would, and it’s easy to read. But Purina is different. They used to use a one digit year followed by the abbreviation for the month, then numerical day. But yesterday I got to the store and saw all numerical codes on the Purina feeds. My bag of Flock Raiser was coded 22005. I sent a message to Purina via their website asking them how to decode. Here’s their very prompt reply
“The date code is located at the Bottom of the bag on the long white strip that has the stitching going through it. The date code begins with the 2 digit year, then the Julian Calendar Date, followed by the abbreviation for the manufacturing location, shift and sequencing number. For Example 21 348 IGH 10 would translate to December 14, 2021 at the IGH feed plant on the first shift.”
I guess it’s time to learn about Julian dates! My bag, 22005, would be 2022 Jan 05, which is fairly fresh. Today‘s date, 2-22-22, would be 22053. 🤨. Anyway, thought you all would like to know about the new code. 🧐. Happy shopping!
Edited to add, see post #7.
I'm so glad you posted this, but I'm still confused. Any ideas which of these Purina feed bags (in the attached image) is fresher?

Bag 1 code = 22026HAR10
Bag 2 code = 22110HAR10
Bag 3 code = 20297RIT9A

Attachments

• 20220512_091404.jpg
    20220512_091404.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm so glad you posted this, but I'm still confused. Any ideas which of these Purina feed bags (in the attached image) is fresher?

Bag 1 code = 22026HAR10
Bag 2 code = 22110HAR10
Bag 3 code = 20297RIT9A
Bag 1 was made on the 26th day of 2022 - Jan 26th, 2022.
Bag 2 was made on the 110th day of 2022 - April 20, 2022
Bag 3 was made at a different factory on the 297th day 0f 2020 - and has been shipped around the nation for the last year and a half!

Buy bag 2!

and if that's too much math, look at the first two digits. If they aren't this year (i.e. "22"), don't buy it. Now look at the next three digits. Pick the largest one. 110 > 026.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom