Watch Your Mill Dates!

We do not have a local "feed mill" in our area. I do not buy my girls feed from TSC because I can't find a soy free, corn free organic product there. So, I buy from amazon "Scratch & Peck" organic, soy free, corn free both pellets (with grub protein and whole grains with pea protein. My girls have now started to go off the pellets, I checked the mill date for a #25 bag I just bought (after I read your post (I didn't know it was an issue before that) and the bag of pellets I just bought was already 4 months old, the whole grains were already 2 months past the mill date. But the "best by dates" were well into next year. How do I give my girls fresh stuff when I don't have any options but to purchase online?:hmm

Sometimes you may have to make other choices, because 'fresh' does matter. If you are allergic to both corn and soy, maybe buying this diet is important for your health. Otherwise, corn and soy are fine ingredients in so many poultry feeds, and are balanced with the right amino acids.
I've found feeds six months and older at feed stores too, and years ago had (fortunately only one) a chick fail because of a vitamin A deficiency, before i knew to check mill dates. This was a firm path diagnosis, BTW.
You can't control what comes shipped to your door; will the shipper take feed back? Likely not, when the feed company claims that it's good a lot longer.
Mary

I hate the whole 'code' thing. Your store should have the 'code book' for each brand they stock. If it's too hard to figure out, buy something else. And maybe take the time to let the manufacturer know why you aren't buying their product.
Mary
My local TSC doesn't have a code guide for the sales people - or none that they have been made aware of, at least. I'm having a heck of a time finding someone who can translate these bags for me. I will have to contact the manufacturer by phone as I've gotten nowhere on their site.

Sometimes it is plainly printed on the bottom seal of the bag instead of a code on the nutritional tag. My local coop has changed from a certain type of code to something a little different to try to hide the fact that their feed is almost a year old. It used to be fresh and cheap and now it is old and more expensive than elsewhere so I don't even bother with them anymore.

What feed are you trying to translate? A picture of the tag and bottom seal would help.

Back
Top Bottom