Watch Your Mill Dates!

I've purchased feed from Dels/TSC for years, all the feed/supplies come shipped (Mainland to Hawaii), in fact everything here is "shipped". All the feed & other big stuff are in the back, we have no access to see before purchasing ... Pay for your feed, show the receipt to the guy, they retrieve it & carry it out. I purchased a bag of Flock Raiser yesterday, when I got home I checked the date, 7DEC15RIV3 :barnie I need to make a phone call tomorrow :rant

:mad: Did not like what I was told yet knew what I would hear, having lived here majority of my life, it's something we deal with living in Hawaii :idunno

Dels has no control as to what TSC sends them :he Inventory is done by a computer program that TSC uses, Dels get what is shipped :idunno Not much I can do, there's only one other feed store in town, family business that sell Nutrena. So now to research their feed mill dates :barnie Anyone feeding Nutrena Product? Can you recommend a high protein feed that's close to Flock Raiser? If mill date's current, will probably try a small bag to see if my girls will eat it.

That's very frustrating! I did notice that organic seems to have been on the shelves the longest in my TSC.
The extra frustrating thing at my store is that it arrives at the store super old.

They are frequently out of it for weeks so there is a demand, they're just not meeting that demand, then when bags appear they're way out of date.

I went back that following week after my first post (2/17/2018) and they had fresh Flock Raiser with a mill date of Feb 14, 2018, so as fresh as you can get, imho - I was happy about that.

We also have a mill of sorts, I do shop there occasionally for other things, they carry Blue Seal, but I haven't researched that enough. Nice enough folks that are trying to restore a family business. The pricing seems comparable to the Purina, but would hate to buy a bag of something my flock won't eat - I tried that one time with layer pellets. No one ate at all for over 3days, I didn't even give them any veggies or scratch all they had was the pellets - they refused - LOL So, Flock Raiser or chick starter it is.

Mine hate pellets too. I was going to try Onate 22% layer made in NM which I'd have to special order from my mom and pop feed store but now looking at feedback here I'm not so sure...

Gotta go back to TSC and check all the dates starting with Dumor 16% organic, Purina et al. For now I'm supplementing with Boss, chopped hardboiled eggs and fresh oat grass.

I hate that I have so few options living in the middle of nowhere.

:mad: Did not like what I was told yet knew what I would hear, having lived here majority of my life, it's something we deal with living in Hawaii :idunno

Dels has no control as to what TSC sends them :he Inventory is done by a computer program that TSC uses, Dels get what is shipped :idunno Not much I can do, there's only one other feed store in town, family business that sell Nutrena. So now to research their feed mill dates :barnie Anyone feeding Nutrena Product? Can you recommend a high protein feed that's close to Flock Raiser? If mill date's current, will probably try a small bag to see if my girls will eat it.

I have not used Nutrena, but it looks like they have an all flock feed - depends on what you can get in HI https://www.nutrenaworld.com/poultry-feeds

Yup, need to call the other feed store to see what they have, they're suppose to carry Nutrena. Been researching Nutrena online (Thank you Wyorp Rock), compared the Nutritional Analyses .... Not as "good" as Flock Raiser :(

I've been freezing the whole bag, defrosting a 2 gal bag as I go. Not sure it will help but if I weren't fermenting I'd have alot of waste (dusty). The last two bags were terrible, haven't opened the new bag yet.

I too am guilty of not checking dates. I’ll be doing much more of that! The local mom and pop does not carry the 17% all flock that I’m feeding. It’s a special order every month when I get it. I guess I’ll order less and hope for the best! I’ve had a hard time finding non-gmo pellets. Most are crumbles or gmo! This is really the only option and it is green mt feeds witch is only a few hours north of us.

Just checked the bag I’m going to open and feed tomorrow, it says “Manufacured 10/2017” but it’s the same printing as the rest of the bag? Maybe they make a months worth of bags in each order?

I hate the whole 'code' thing. Your store should have the 'code book' for each brand they stock. If it's too hard to figure out, buy something else. And maybe take the time to let the manufacturer know why you aren't buying their product.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom