Purina Layena

No, she said later that she meant poop.

I read recently that layers need a lower protein feed in cold weather because (according to the article) they need to eat more to keep warm and they end up getting too much protein when what they need is extra carbs and fat, for the calories to create heat. This extra protein results in larger eggs with thinner shells. Alas, I am old and cannot remember where I found that. I do know this would make sense if it was humans.

They need a certain number of grams of protein rather than X percentage in their food. If they’re eating significantly more food, they’ll get more protein than they need. That was the writer’s argument, fwiw, but it made sense to me.

As for commercial feeds, I’m concerned that a bag of feed which I have to pour out into a bin right away just to make sure it isn’t moldy might not be that good even if it isn’t past-dates. I’m experimenting with mixing my own right now. It’s definitely more work but grain sometimes lasts thousands of years and will still sprout whereas once it’s ground it begins to turn rancid almost immediately. (I keep my whole-grain flour in the freezer.) Unfortunately it’s not cheaper and is definitely more work but since I have the time, I enjoy monkeying around with it.

Last edited:
No, she said later that she meant poop.

I read recently that layers need a lower protein feed in cold weather because (according to the article) they need to eat more to keep warm and they end up getting too much protein when what they need is extra carbs and fat, for the calories to create heat. This extra protein results in larger eggs with thinner shells. Alas, I am old and cannot remember where I found that. I do know this would make sense if it was humans.

They need a certain number of grams of protein rather than X percentage in their food. If they’re eating significantly more food, they’ll get more protein than they need. That was the writer’s argument, fwiw, but it made sense to me.

As for commercial feeds, I’m concerned that feed I have to pour out into a bin right away just to make sure it isn’t moldy might not be that good even if it isn’t past-dates. I’m experimenting with mixing my own right now. It’s definitely more work but grain sometimes lasts thousands of years and will still sprout whereas once it’s ground it begins to turn rancid almost immediately. (I keep my whole-grain flour in the freezer.) Unfortunately it’s not cheaper and is definitely more work but since I have the time, I enjoy monkeying around with it.
This is very interesting, things change so much as more studies get done which I contribute to the increase in small flock husbandry in the back yard. People really want to know all this stuff and just in a matter of years the stead fast tried and true methods everyone has been accustomed to changes. The old adage layer chickens need less protein unless molting or in winter to assist regrowth and keeping their little furnaces going in colder seasons. BUT, I guess this maybe incorrect. Would have been awesome to know the source of it~ Nice read though, thanks for the input.

I started using Purina Leyena after seeing it here and I had all the issues you experienced during the trial period. My small flock of one Icelandic rooster, One BJG and Six Sex Links. I tried with two bags and the following, supplemented with Grass Clippings/Mealworms/Rolled Oats/Scratch as treats I observed;

1) Increased food waste/fodder
2) Egg Shell quality decreased, calcium deposits, cracking, discoloration and general thinness of the shell thickness
3) Birds didn't seem to gain anything from it, it seemed like they were hungry all of the time. More than usual.

In no way am I saying Purina's product is inferior, this was not a highly documented and controlled test. Just my observations while spending time with the girls. I honestly think environment and location may have a large role to play in it as well given some areas are more naturally nutrient-rich than other places. For me though, its just not a product line I would recommend or use again.
:)
I can say that since I went back to ADM my birds seem to be back to normal. They are not eating as much and the litter is back to normal. No huge piles and not near as much . Again, they ate the purina just fine, but like you mentioned, it didnt seem to be providing much. Almost seemed to go straight through them.

Last edited:
..or they were eating more because of a lack of nutrition,
either due to formulation contents or age of feed.
That really could be an issue as well. For me all the Purina was purchased at TSC for the two bags I used. I then had switched over to Poulin which is distributed by my local hardware store. Would really have to do an official test with some control mechanisms in place to really say for sure.

I've found that my girls do not like Purina Layena. They love Purina Flock Raisers and always have access to oyster shell and grit on the side. I'm trying out Nutrena Hearty Hen now and so far, they still seem to prefer Flock Raisers. I noticed that the Flock Raiser does have a pleasant smell, in my opinion. Not sure about taste though. I'm just going by the reactions from my girls. One more thing I noticed is that the higher protein seems to make a difference in my girls not eating feathers laying around. All of my birds are under a year old. I won't be buying anymore feed besides Purina Flock Raisers unless a problem arises, as all of my birds seem to enjoy this feed.

Back
Top Bottom