Purina or Blueseal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Jun 13, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    In Maine where I am, those are my to choices readily available for commercial feeds.
    Can anyone give me feedback on either?

Eventually I may buy bulk some Countryside Naturals with a friend, but not right away.
    Thanks.

2. elizwlsn

elizwlsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Palmyra, Va.
    I use Purina for my chickens although I like Blue Seal for my goats. I think the chicken I use is Flock Master but I transfer to a barrel and don't have the bag so am not positive. They prefer it to our local mill's feed as well as the Blue Seal.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I use Purina, we don't have Blueseal here. My "kids" get Start and Grow as babies and Flock Raiser as they get bigger.

4. jtermini30

jtermini30 New Egg

Apr 16, 2010
    Fryeburg, ME
    I live in western Maine and we have used Blue Seal, Poulan Grain and Tractor Supply all of which appear to readily available as well available in organic.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I like both of them. However I prefer Purina because less waste and less smelly poop.

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I use Purina (for my dog, cats and chickens).

I found that the layena does GREAT for my eggs, I recently bought some chickens that were fed a store feed and their egg shells were very thin and after a few weeks of layena, their egg shells are nice and hard. Everyone that eats my eggs loves them and I think it is the food quality.

When I 1st got my chickens I fed scratch and corn, after feeding layena my birds have better lookin feathers too. The original rooster I got had no feathers on his feet and now he does! He also colored out a little more...was mostly white and now you can see cream and black. (he is a mutt)

As far as the cats and dogs...purina was the only manufacterer not involved with the recall involving melamine (a year or 2 ago) that almost all other food companies were involved with. They are a reputable company. I won't feed anything else.

And purina is nestle and I love chocolate!

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I live in St. Louis, home of Purina so you know that is all we have. I have been to Rural King and tried their food too. But I dont know, I am prejudiced to think Purina is better. Less smelly poop? I am going to feed store today to get the Purina because the poop is on my nerves.

I also have soft shells with the Rural King food.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I raised my dual purpose chicks on the 22% protein (Chick N Game Starter/Grower) blue seal crumbles. I thought it was excellent food for raising chicks. I had no fatalities and everyone had great looking feathers. The awkward stage wasn't that awkward. My hurt chick and the runt both thrived eating it. At 9 weeks I'm now in the process of switching to 20% protein and pellets. I had some coupons for Purina Flock Raiser and they're now getting that mixed with the rest of the Blue Seal.
    I think both brands are fine food, many people on here use them. The only reason I went with Blue Seal around here is because I couldn't find a higher protein non-medicated crumble other than Blue Seal.

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I love Blue Seal. I have been using it for my horses since 1972, my goats since 1980 and my poultry since 1977. I love the Blue Seal, seems to keep my animals healthy. I recently bought the Purina Starter for my chicks I just ordered and that was because my Blue Seal feed dealer was out of starter and I didn't want to take a chance on the chicks arriving and not having feed for them. They have been on it 2 days, so i don't know if I like it or not! They don't seem to be eating much of it, but that could be because they are only 5 days old.

I live just outside of Augusta, Maine.

10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    The only drawback to Purina, since they went to their sunfresh plant based protein recipe is I developed picking problems in my young birds. Have since switched to a meat based protein starter/grower without any further trouble. Seems they were lacking something in the old feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by