Purina or Blueseal?

We feed Blue Seal crumbles. Once, our local store ran out and we had to get a bag of the flock raiser. the boys and girls didn't like that one bit. more ended up scattered on the floor than in them.

I have never used Blue Seal but I would run like hell away from Purina Flock Raiser or the Layena. I tried to use it this last winter when Tractor Supply decided to switch from Kent feed to Purina. There was tons of waste. I ended up with about a 2" layer of feed dust on the coop floor. My chickens started developing health problems left an right about a week or two after I started feeding it to them. They suddenly developed feather picking issues also. I let this go on for about two months until my birds were looking scrawny, and sickly. I never had these issues when feeding them the Kent feed so I found a feed store that still sells the Kent. Ever since I switched back my birds haven't wasted so much as a crumble, they are back to their happy healthy selfs, and feather picking stopped completely.

Last edited:
Quote:
I buy Blue Seal layer crumbles, my birds prefer it to Purina. But they prefer Purina scratch (I augment it with white millet, safflower and BOSS - they're spoiled little princesses).

Back
Top Bottom