Purina or Blueseal?

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
In Maine where I am, those are my to choices readily available for commercial feeds.
Can anyone give me feedback on either?

Eventually I may buy bulk some Countryside Naturals with a friend, but not right away.
Thanks.

I use Purina for my chickens although I like Blue Seal for my goats. I think the chicken I use is Flock Master but I transfer to a barrel and don't have the bag so am not positive. They prefer it to our local mill's feed as well as the Blue Seal.

I use Purina, we don't have Blueseal here. My "kids" get Start and Grow as babies and Flock Raiser as they get bigger.

I use Purina (for my dog, cats and chickens).

I found that the layena does GREAT for my eggs, I recently bought some chickens that were fed a store feed and their egg shells were very thin and after a few weeks of layena, their egg shells are nice and hard. Everyone that eats my eggs loves them and I think it is the food quality.

When I 1st got my chickens I fed scratch and corn, after feeding layena my birds have better lookin feathers too. The original rooster I got had no feathers on his feet and now he does! He also colored out a little more...was mostly white and now you can see cream and black. (he is a mutt)

As far as the cats and dogs...purina was the only manufacterer not involved with the recall involving melamine (a year or 2 ago) that almost all other food companies were involved with. They are a reputable company. I won't feed anything else.

And purina is nestle and I love chocolate!

I live in St. Louis, home of Purina so you know that is all we have. I have been to Rural King and tried their food too. But I dont know, I am prejudiced to think Purina is better. Less smelly poop? I am going to feed store today to get the Purina because the poop is on my nerves.

I also have soft shells with the Rural King food.

I raised my dual purpose chicks on the 22% protein (Chick N Game Starter/Grower) blue seal crumbles. I thought it was excellent food for raising chicks. I had no fatalities and everyone had great looking feathers. The awkward stage wasn't that awkward. My hurt chick and the runt both thrived eating it. At 9 weeks I'm now in the process of switching to 20% protein and pellets. I had some coupons for Purina Flock Raiser and they're now getting that mixed with the rest of the Blue Seal.
I think both brands are fine food, many people on here use them. The only reason I went with Blue Seal around here is because I couldn't find a higher protein non-medicated crumble other than Blue Seal.

I love Blue Seal. I have been using it for my horses since 1972, my goats since 1980 and my poultry since 1977. I love the Blue Seal, seems to keep my animals healthy. I recently bought the Purina Starter for my chicks I just ordered and that was because my Blue Seal feed dealer was out of starter and I didn't want to take a chance on the chicks arriving and not having feed for them. They have been on it 2 days, so i don't know if I like it or not! They don't seem to be eating much of it, but that could be because they are only 5 days old.

I live just outside of Augusta, Maine.

The only drawback to Purina, since they went to their sunfresh plant based protein recipe is I developed picking problems in my young birds. Have since switched to a meat based protein starter/grower without any further trouble. Seems they were lacking something in the old feed.

Back
Top Bottom