Purina

There's a lot of talk that the Purina chicken food has been tainted since September, which is why chickens are not laying anybody having issues. Mine have not laid since September. I'm changing food this week
Mine are quite old enough to lay and haven't layed either. I've had them since October. It's summer here and no eggs in sight. I don't feed them much food, they are mostly free ranged.

I’m going to remain open minded while information is still amassing and until I have done my own experiment.
Doing your own experiment is a good idea.

There are really two questions that have been debated at great length.

The first question, is anything actually wrong with the feed? So far, there are reports of chickens that do lay better on different feeds, and reports of other chickens that resume laying without having their feed changed. I have not yet heard of any results from having feed analyzed in a lab (although of course a lab would only look for certain things, and may not find other problems they are not looking for. As an example, testing protein will not detect problems in mineral levels, and testing for a certain toxin would miss a different toxin. So lab results may or may not be helpful.)

The second question, if something is wrong, who caused it and why? This second one seems to cause the most arguments, with people on each side accusing the others of ignoring the obvious explanation (along with comments that are much less polite.) Theories vary widely: manufacturing errors, cost-cutting by using cheaper ingredients, deliberate changes to make backyard flocks not lay eggs, etc. (Who benefits if backyard flocks quit laying? There are several proposed answers to that too. Again, arguments ensue.)

Currently, I'm curious about the first question, whether there actually is anything wrong with the feed. So I'm paying attention to who changed feed, and what the results were. If the hens lay better on new feed, I am also watching who tests again by changing back (very few reports on that style of test so far.) If the feed really is the only factor affecting the egg laying, it should be possible to switch back and forth and have the eggs start and stop. But if the egg laying is actually affected by something else, the feed may be able to switch back and forth without causing changes in the laying.

Mine are quite old enough to lay and haven't layed either. I've had them since October. It's summer here and no eggs in sight. I don't feed them much food, they are mostly free ranged.
I'm in Tennessee and it does get cold here but the two keep laying every day so I have been feeding the Purina plus I give them scraps like linguine and corn. Oatmeal grapes whatever I have

It was proven Purina was bought by California, Maine who is the largest producer of eggs in the country. It would stand to reason that they don't want the competition from us. BYC's
IT WAS PROVEN?

Seriously, WHERE did you hear that??? Suggest you ignore all other "proven" claims from that source.

Purina Mills (the maker of livestock feed) has been held by Land O Lakes company since about 2001. That hasn't changed.

Cal-Maine, the nation's largest egg producer, is publicly traded, and forced to list its subsidiaries as a result.

Here's what Land O Lakes says about their subsidiaries.

If that's too much for you to read, I'll give you a hint. According to the SEC, the comapnies involved, and the lack of a major shareholder lawsuit alleging material misrepresentations of holdings, Purina Mills (animal nutrition) is a side business for Land O Lakes.

Thank you for playing.

Last edited:
Doing your own experiment is a good idea.

There are really two questions that have been debated at great length.

The first question, is anything actually wrong with the feed? So far, there are reports of chickens that do lay better on different feeds, and reports of other chickens that resume laying without having their feed changed. I have not yet heard of any results from having feed analyzed in a lab (although of course a lab would only look for certain things, and may not find other problems they are not looking for. As an example, testing protein will not detect problems in mineral levels, and testing for a certain toxin would miss a

different toxin. So lab results may or may not be helpful.)

The second question, if something is wrong, who caused it and why? This second one seems to cause the most arguments, with people on each side accusing the others of ignoring the obvious explanation (along with comments that are much less polite.) Theories vary widely: manufacturing errors, cost-cutting by using cheaper ingredients, deliberate changes to make backyard flocks not lay eggs, etc. (Who benefits if backyard flocks quit laying? There are several proposed answers to that too. Again, arguments ensue.)

Currently, I'm curious about the first question, whether there actually is anything wrong with the feed. So I'm paying attention to who changed feed, and what the results were. If the hens lay better on new feed, I am also watching who tests again by changing back (very few reports on that style of test so far.) If the feed really is the only factor affecting the egg laying, it should be possible to switch back and forth and have the eggs start and stop. But if the egg laying is actually affected by something else, the feed may be able to switch back and forth without causing changes in the laying.

Welcome, @one chick , to BYC by the way.

We are very fond of facts here. Reasonable conclusions. Plausible speculation. Please take a moment to consider whether the "fact" you are about to post is easily demonstrated to be completely false by a few second's search on the internet. The reputation you craft today with your "facts" will follow you. Your opinions? We all have them, you are absolutely welcome to yours. I enjoy opinions which differ from my own - but there are facts which are beyond dispute. Ownership of Purina Mills (Animal Nutrition) is one of those.

Whomever told you CalMaine owned Purina? They did you wrong.

IT WAS PROVEN?

Seriously, WTF did you hear that??? Suggest you ignore all other "proven" claims from that source.

Purina Mills (the maker of livestock feed) has been held by Land O Lakes company since about 2001. That hasn't changed.

Cal-Maine, the nation's largest egg producer, is publicly traded, and forced to list its subsidiaries as a result.

Here's what Land O Lakes says about their subsidiaries.

If that's too much for you to read, I'll give you a hint. According to the SEC, the comapnies involved, and the lack of a major shareholder lawsuit alleging material misrepresentations of holdings, Purina Mills (animal nutrition) is a side business for Land O Lakes.

Thank you for playing.
First of all, I behoove you not to be so violent in your language of attacking me for my opinions and or concerns. That is unnecessary and uncalled for in this and other threads. I choose not to respond to any of your further threads and will leave you with the thought that Land O'Lakes and Purina are under cal maines umbrella. Stay calm..

Back
Top Bottom