Purina

Yes but I'm just concerned that the other ones have stopped in September like everybody else is seems to have done
It happens to many hens, in many different years.

You can go search the old posts on this forum. Every fall, there are lots of posts from people who are worried that their chickens stopped laying. It is not something new this year.

I'm in Tennessee and it does get cold here but the two keep laying every day so I have been feeding the Purina plus I give them scraps like linguine and corn. Oatmeal grapes whatever I have
Are you feeding all your birds the same feed?

When the pullets are laying, and the older hens are not, and they are all eating the same feed: I think the difference is more likely to be caused by the age than the feed.

It happens to many hens, in many different years.

You can go search the old posts on this forum. Every fall, there are lots of posts from people who are worried that their chickens stopped laying. It is not something new this year.

Are you feeding all your birds the same feed?

When the pullets are laying, and the older hens are not, and they are all eating the same feed: I think the difference is more likely to be caused by the age than the feed.
All the same. Birds are 3 years in total.

Doing your own experiment is a good idea.

There are really two questions that have been debated at great length.

The first question, is anything actually wrong with the feed? So far, there are reports of chickens that do lay better on different feeds, and reports of other chickens that resume laying without having their feed changed. I have not yet heard of any results from having feed analyzed in a lab (although of course a lab would only look for certain things, and may not find other problems they are not looking for. As an example, testing protein will not detect problems in mineral levels, and testing for a certain toxin would miss a different toxin. So lab results may or may not be helpful.)

The second question, if something is wrong, who caused it and why? This second one seems to cause the most arguments, with people on each side accusing the others of ignoring the obvious explanation (along with comments that are much less polite.) Theories vary widely: manufacturing errors, cost-cutting by using cheaper ingredients, deliberate changes to make backyard flocks not lay eggs, etc. (Who benefits if backyard flocks quit laying? There are several proposed answers to that too. Again, arguments ensue.)

Currently, I'm curious about the first question, whether there actually is anything wrong with the feed. So I'm paying attention to who changed feed, and what the results were. If the hens lay better on new feed, I am also watching who tests again by changing back (very few reports on that style of test so far.) If the feed really is the only factor affecting the egg laying, it should be possible to switch back and forth and have the eggs start and stop. But if the egg laying is actually affected by something else, the feed may be able to switch back and forth without causing changes in the laying.
Mine normally start back laying mid Feb or so. So if someone changes feed today and they start laying in a week or two they will blame the feed when it may just be thier time to start up again from the daylight. That's not definitive.
Bad time for anyone to change feed and it be definitive

First of all, I behoove you not to be so violent in your language of attacking me for my opinions and or concerns. That is unnecessary and uncalled for in this and other threads. I choose not to respond to any of your further threads [...]

The above was the one and only time I have responded to you, in a claimed statement of Fact. "this and other threads"??? Suggests you've created "One Chick" as a second account to echo your own theories and perhaps create the impression they are more widely held.

Good luck with that.

The test that everyone who is worried can do at home is to immediately switch from the concerning feed to a new test feed for a week (or better two weeks) and then switch back to the feed that is causing the concern.
Record egg volumes before the test, during the test and after the test.
If enough people do this it should be pretty conclusive.

Might I suggest "[Ctrl] K" or this VERY useful feature.

1675300326930.png

I find it helpful when relying on authority not your own.

Yes, that's where I'm getting it from. TSC. The two that are laying are only about 6 months old. The other ones very from two to one year old. I used to get seven eggs a day until September. Need a second call. There's many articles out there but one is "tractor supply chicken feed reportedly causing egg laying to stop board has ties to WEF and Jeffrey Epstein" this was on the website. Prepare for change. Another website is under the USA news January 30th 2023 tractor supply. As for me, whether or not this is true, there's too much out there for me to want to continue with TSC's Purina products. I'm going to give other products a try to see if my chickens like them and I get their eggs. The proof will be in the chickens a laying again. Thanks for your input
But this won't be proof at all. Eventually, your chickens will start laying again whether you switch feeds or not. There's no "conspiracy" here.

The test that everyone who is worried can do at home is to immediately switch from the concerning feed to a new test feed for a week (or better two weeks) and then switch back to the feed that is causing the concern.
Record egg volumes before the test, during the test and after the test.
If enough people do this it should be pretty conclusive.
No, this still wouldn't prove anything. You'd have to do it like a scientific study, and do a control group. One "with" your normal feed, and the other group with the changed feed. This still wouldn't really prove anything though, because you'd need a lot of birds for good data.

Back
Top Bottom