Purina

Pics
There's a lot of talk that the Purina chicken food has been tainted since September, which is why chickens are not laying anybody having issues. Mine have not laid since September. I'm changing food this week
welcome to BYC
Tell us a little more about you:
where in the world are you, how many birds do you call your own?
I hope you find an answer to your question soon and you get many delicious homegrown eggs again soon!

Do what’s best for you. Don’t bother trying to discuss too much. You will be called names, belittled for not have a lab in your basement to analyze the feed, etc.

find a feed that is not related to any of the products you have been using and move on.

enjoy your birds and the piece of mind you are not wrong.
Thank you ma'am. You have the best answer of all. I'm stopping this thread because I am being antagonized and sworn at and I'm not an antagonizing type person. Just trying to be informed and keep my chickens happy and healthy.

There's a lot of talk that the Purina chicken food has been tainted since September, which is why chickens are not laying anybody having issues. Mine have not laid since September. I'm changing food this week
Hey there "one chick".

I will say that I had a healthy skepticism about the story when it first came out, which to my understanding when I first heard the talk back in December involved only Tractor Supply's "Producer's Pride" layer feed. I was having a similar problem but had been feeding Purina brand layer pellets from TSC since late November, as my regular layer feed for the past year or so had been "Eggland's Best Mini-Pellets", but it had been out of stock locally and online for months.

My six girls, all about a year and a half to two years old nearly stopped laying in mid-December. I did get seven eggs total from all six girls from the second week in Dec. through the third week of January, so slightly less than one egg a week.

So, when I heard the stories I figured ... 1) we had atypical cold this December here in Texas and some of my girls were still finishing up molting when the cold wave hit, and 2) I was feeding Purina, not the TSC store brand "Producer's Pride", so none of this applied to my situation.

Well, then about two and a half weeks ago my "Eggland's Best Mini-Pellets" were available again from Petco online. I received a new shipment within three of days and resumed feeding it again immediately around Jan. 14th. Within the past week I've been consistently getting 2 - 4 eggs a day in about equal numbers from my three Rhode Islands and three EasterEggers.

It was only in the past couple of days that I heard Purina makes the TSC "Producer's Pride" and that Purina branded layer feed in general may be suspect also.

I don't know what the deal is, I can't make any claims one way or another. I'm just reporting what I think may be of interest from the way things have been going for my girls.

I also know that "Eggland's Best" is much more expensive than most layer feed and I'm not promoting it. I just don't have years of experience and so chose it because the reviews were so strong and I could afford the extra price because I have such as small flock and I wanted to err on the side of better feed.

Note: In addition to layer pellets, I throw about 1.5 cups of sunflower seed with some meal worms and peanuts every morning as scratch. This has been consistent with no change.

I'm just sharing what I have experienced. I hope this is of some help.

This is my approach.

Post in thread 'Feed companies response to the “big question”.'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-companies-response-to-the-“big-question”.1561874/post-26509115
Thanks for sharing that. I don't have a Nutrena dealer near me that I know of but I'm going to look again because I do know that when I had a Tennessee Walking horse I found their horse feed pellets to be heads above all other available ... and I DO know what you mean about the smell of freshness as opposed to other feeds ... at least in the horse pellets.
This is my approach.

Post in thread 'Feed companies response to the “big question”.'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-companies-response-to-the-“big-question”.1561874/post-26509115

Hey there "one chick".

I will say that I had a healthy skepticism about the story when it first came out, which to my understanding when I first heard the talk back in December involved only Tractor Supply's "Producer's Pride" layer feed. I was having a similar problem but had been feeding Purina brand layer pellets from TSC since late November, as my regular layer feed for the past year or so had been "Eggland's Best Mini-Pellets", but it had been out of stock locally and online for months.

My six girls, all about a year and a half to two years old nearly stopped laying in mid-December. I did get seven eggs total from all six girls from the second week in Dec. through the third week of January, so slightly less than one egg a week.

So, when I heard the stories I figured ... 1) we had atypical cold this December here in Texas and some of my girls were still finishing up molting when the cold wave hit, and 2) I was feeding Purina, not the TSC store brand "Producer's Pride", so none of this applied to my situation.

Well, then about two and a half weeks ago my "Eggland's Best Mini-Pellets" were available again from Petco online. I received a new shipment within three of days and resumed feeding it again immediately around Jan. 14th. Within the past week I've been consistently getting 2 - 4 eggs a day in about equal numbers from my three Rhode Islands and three EasterEggers.

It was only in the past couple of days that I heard Purina makes the TSC "Producer's Pride" and that Purina branded layer feed in general may be suspect also.

I don't know what the deal is, I can't make any claims one way or another. I'm just reporting what I think may be of interest from the way things have been going for my girls.

I also know that "Eggland's Best" is much more expensive than most layer feed and I'm not promoting it. I just don't have years of experience and so chose it because the reviews were so strong and I could afford the extra price because I have such as small flock and I wanted to err on the side of better feed.

Note: In addition to layer pellets, I throw about 1.5 cups of sunflower seed with some meal worms and peanuts every morning as scratch. This has been consistent with no change.

I'm just sharing what I have experienced. I hope this is of some help.
Oh thank you so much for your feedback. Your story is similar to mine. That's why when I heard about Purina I didn't know if BYC knew about it either. I just wish that more of the thread replies on this post would have been more open instead of condemning me for even bringing it up. It all comes down to us taking care of our chickens and anytime there's something going on good or bad we need to be informed and make the decision for our girls. Thank you again for being so open, honest and fair.

Back
Top Bottom