Purina

Pics
There's a lot of talk that the Purina chicken food has been tainted since September, which is why chickens are not laying anybody having issues. Mine have not laid since September. I'm changing food this week
Absolutely no problem here with Purina brand feeds plenty of eggs and healthy birds laying especially in last few weeks with daylight increasing. Evan healthy hatching eggs with no problems if there was a problem with feed not being up to pare, I know I would have seen it in decrease in eggs and healthy hatchlings and that is not the case. I know they're not all chicken eggs and Turkeys aren't laying yet they never start here until early to mid-March depending on amount of daylight but it's all Purina brand feeds that made all of this possible for me to continue on this farm. Purina is not the feed that I always use except for my ducks, I use Prince feeds mainly but had a glitch in my normal order of 2000lbs of feed from feed store so bought Purina it was most readily available/freshest in the amounts I needed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I ever have a problem with my regular feed and I have a lot riding on all my bird's health Chickens/Turkeys/Ducks/Quail. With as many birds and different types I am sure I would know if there was a problem. Hope this helps ease your mind. A few pics of eggs freshly gathered and hatchlings that hatched yesterday.
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG

Last edited:
And if you can see in pics of quail eggs, they are still too large to fit in quail egg cartons without using a rubber band to keep lid closed no change in egg size of any of my eggs.

Absolutely no problem here with Purina brand feeds plenty of eggs and healthy birds laying especially in last few weeks with daylight increasing. Evan healthy hatching eggs with no problems if there was a problem with feed not being up to pare, I know I would have seen it in health of birds decrease in eggs and healthy hatchlings and that is not the case. I know they're not all chicken eggs and Turkeys aren't laying yet they never start here until early to mid-March depending on amount of daylight but it's all Purina brand feeds that made all of this possible for me to continue on this farm. Purina is not the feed that I always use except for my ducks, I use Prince feeds mainly but had a glitch in my normal order of 2000lbs of feed from feed store so bought Purina it was most readily available/freshest in the amounts I needed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I ever have a problem with my regular feed and I have a lot riding on all my bird's health Chickens/Turkeys/Ducks/Quail. With as many birds and different types I am sure I would know if there was a problem. Hope this helps ease your mind. A few pics of eggs freshly gathered and hatchlings that hatched yesterday.View attachment 3393434View attachment 3393435
Just another quick pic of my breakfast for lunch ohhhh so good. Scrambled Quail eggs and Ham topped with a little cheddar cheese :D THANK-YOU Purina
IMG_0610.JPG

People really seem to love their big box commercial feed on here. Slightly odd to me but to each their own.
When it works why not? But you must not have read my post fully I stated it's not my usual feed, but it got me out of a bind with NO ILL EFFECTS and for that I'm thankful it's there. Thought that was the question of the thread.

Last edited:
Doing your own experiment is a good idea.

The test that everyone who is worried can do at home is to immediately switch from the concerning feed to a new test feed for a week (or better two weeks) and then switch back to the feed that is causing the concern.
Record egg volumes before the test, during the test and after the test.
If enough people do this it should be pretty conclusive.
This is what I am going to do, after I get a bag of "some brand to be determined" chick starter/grower from my local TSC. I'm going to get a small bag, feed it for as long as it lasts (probably 1.5-2+ weeks...?) and then switch back to my usual Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker.

I will post pictures of the tags and mill date of both kinds.

I got one egg today, from my hen who lays 2 out of 3 days. She took the last two days off, so she's out of her usual routine.

I can't control the weather, and it's going to change again, tonight. I can't control the brightness of the daylight, and we've had very gloomy days, except for the last two.

The only difference I can control will be the feed. So this is just an informal, individual, what the heck, let's try it to see what happens experiment.

Stay tuned.

When it works why not? But you must not have read my post fully I stated it's not my usual feed, but it got me out of a bind with NO ILL EFFECTS and for that I'm thankful it's there. Thought that was the question of the thread.
I didn’t reply to you… I was making a statement. Getting eggs at a grocery store works why not? It’s sure easier and before the last year cheaper. Some of us on here have chosen to go more off the grid and leave behind the commercial world. Just interesting to me to see such support for a big box supplier. This is not aimed at anyone or thing just an observation. Looking at your few posts I would assume you are one of those people also which I think is awesome. Super jealous of your egg production that pic might as well be bags of gold 😂…. The conspiracy is fun to follow but I think this stuff continues to push me more into the local community for answers no matter if it’s true or not.

Also, have you tried kalmbach feeds? Looks to be more commercial now branching to Michigan and Indiana, but started in Sandusky. Even chewy has it at an inflated price. A few private shops around here carry it. If I didn’t use local mill I would buy it for sure.

Also, have you tried kalmbach feeds? Looks to be more commercial now branching to Michigan and Indiana, but started in Sandusky. Even chewy has it at an inflated price. A few private shops around here carry it. If I didn’t use local mill I would buy it for sure.
Yes, it is usually my fallback feed love that it is made here in Ohio and have used it many times with very good results, but it wasn't available to me in the quantity I needed and ordering it in wouldn't have been any faster than getting my usual feed ordered in both would take 2 to 3 weeks to get a bulk order in. So, the Purina had to do in a pinch. I would love to have a local mill deliver bulk feed but can't find any that will mill anything that I want or in pellet form. So, I have been buying from the same local feed store for many many years and I can't beat the price he is selling me the Prince feed for and have very good results with it for last 8 years. I can go through up to 2500 lbs. of feed a month so the quality and price is a big deal for me. Those darn turkeys are eating machines :D

Back
Top Bottom