purple comb discoloration, underweight, no appetite, strange behavior

sluggish, doesn’t run away when i go to pick her up, eating and drinking. crop feels gritty but squishy.
she went outside with the others when i let them out, but just kind of stood around, she scratched a bit in the dirt and was eating grass but for the most part looked disinterested
So she's mostly acting confused?

So she's mostly acting confused?
yep. she caught a few bugs and ran away with them but that’s the extent of what she did outside. i picked her up a few times and she was kind of stinky. super light, maybe weighs 1 1/2 pounds. she’s two years old. came to me for treats but didn’t do her usual loud clucking and jumping, just looked around.

yep. she caught a few bugs and ran away with them but that’s the extent of what she did outside. i picked her up a few times and she was kind of stinky. super light, maybe weighs 1 1/2 pounds. she’s two years old. came to me for treats but didn’t do her usual loud clucking and jumping, just looked around.
I'll tag the experts.
@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Did you state how old she is? If so, sorry I may have missed it. Is she laying? When was the last egg? Any shell egg quality issues?

When was the last chicken that died? Her age? Any egg shell quality issues before she died? Describe her behavior before she died. How long after onset of symptoms did she die?

Did you state how old she is? If so, sorry I may have missed it. Is she laying? When was the last egg? Any shell egg quality issues?

When was the last chicken that died? Her age? Any egg shell quality issues before she died? Describe her behavior before she died. How long after onset of symptoms did she die?
i said she was two years old. i’m not sure if she’s laying because it’s been pretty hot here. egg production is down. haven’t noticed any shell issues. the last chicken that died was in may or june, so she had just turned two in may. i didnt see any egg quality issues. she had her tail down, sad eyes, long stare, purple comb, and would sit a lot. it’s been the same for all of my chickens that have died. she died maybe a week after symptoms showed.

i made a thread about her illness and death a while ago, it should be on my page.

The best way to know what was wrong and if something is contagious or just a usual chicken reproductive infection, is to send the body to your state vet for a necropsy when they die. Reproductive infections, salpingitis and internal laying are very common. Cancer and ascites (water belly) are also common. Crop disorders may occur with each of those. This is a list of mist state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom