purple comb discoloration, underweight, no appetite, strange behavior

ashlkfnl

Chirping
Sep 22, 2021
Southeast Kansas
hey,
so i noticed my hen’s (who’s name is chicken, so creative i know) usually erect pretty comb had flopped over. then the next day, i noticed it had white splotches on it. then i noticed it had purple edges. so i went to go check on chicken, who is at the top of the pecking order, and she wasn’t running for treats, shoving past other chickens, and squawking at me like usual. she was walking slowly, looking confused, hanging around the back. i felt her breastbone today, and she feels like skin and bone. i usually bring the flock the bugs and fruit and other treats i find and she was not interested.
she is still walking around, just slowly, and seems confused.
what should be my next plan of action? is this bird flu? this seems like symptoms my other chickens had shortly before they died. is there anything i can do besides quarantine?

hey,
so i noticed my hen’s (who’s name is chicken, so creative i know) usually erect pretty comb had flopped over. then the next day, i noticed it had white splotches on it. then i noticed it had purple edges. so i went to go check on chicken, who is at the top of the pecking order, and she wasn’t running for treats, shoving past other chickens, and squawking at me like usual. she was walking slowly, looking confused, hanging around the back. i felt her breastbone today, and she feels like skin and bone. i usually bring the flock the bugs and fruit and other treats i find and she was not interested.
she is still walking around, just slowly, and seems confused.
what should be my next plan of action? is this bird flu? this seems like symptoms my other chickens had shortly before they died. is there anything i can do besides quarantine?
Internal organ failure, possibly heart I would think.
Not bird flu.

Did you state how old she is? If so, sorry I may have missed it. Is she laying? When was the last egg? Any shell egg quality issues?

When was the last chicken that died? Her age? Any egg shell quality issues before she died? Describe her behavior before she died. How long after onset of symptoms did she die?

The best way to know what was wrong and if something is contagious or just a usual chicken reproductive infection, is to send the body to your state vet for a necropsy when they die. Reproductive infections, salpingitis and internal laying are very common. Cancer and ascites (water belly) are also common. Crop disorders may occur with each of those. This is a list of mist state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Check her crop early in the morning before she eats and drinks anything and see it it emptied. How full is her crop now?
Is her abdomen bloated at all? (the abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs).
Could you get some pictures of her comb?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Check her crop early in the morning before she eats and drinks anything and see it it emptied. How full is her crop now?
Is her abdomen bloated at all? (the abdomen is located underneath the vent in between the legs).
I saw her in the nesting box two days ago. I thought I attached a pic of her comb but it didn’t go through. I haven’t checked her crop. Her abdomen isn’t bloated right now, she’s so skinny. I checked her and didn’t see any mites or lice, and her vent looked fine. She’s been running after bugs tonight so maybe she’s feeling better?

Attachments

• F2CC1E18-1222-410D-A629-5DB662F469AB.jpeg
    F2CC1E18-1222-410D-A629-5DB662F469AB.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 4
I saw her in the nesting box two days ago. I thought I attached a pic of her comb but it didn’t go through. I haven’t checked her crop. Her abdomen isn’t bloated right now, she’s so skinny. I checked her and didn’t see any mites or lice, and her vent looked fine. She’s been running after bugs tonight so maybe she’s feeling better?

Attachments

• 006EDA1A-1663-4A75-8D66-39DC13847DF9.jpeg
    006EDA1A-1663-4A75-8D66-39DC13847DF9.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1C09145A-341F-4FFC-B1D7-105B6047ED5E.jpeg
    1C09145A-341F-4FFC-B1D7-105B6047ED5E.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 4
Let's see how she is in the morning.
The pictures I attached in my last reply were from last night. Sorry they didn’t go through. I checked on her when I got home from work and this is what her comb looked like.

Attachments

• 234A73DD-21BF-4376-960C-2F110D99BB44.jpeg
    234A73DD-21BF-4376-960C-2F110D99BB44.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 5
  • 89B2BA9C-FA95-41FB-B999-B0337A6AAA61.jpeg
    89B2BA9C-FA95-41FB-B999-B0337A6AAA61.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom