purple comb, lethargic and no eggs.

bigleghorn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Hello. Today I noticed one of my 1.5 year old leghorns, is acting weird. This morning when was in the nesting box for over four hours, she never layed a egg. In fact almost none of my hens been laying any more. (I been getting three eggs a day, I have six hens and used to get six a day.) When she finally left the box I noticed her comb is bluish purple, and drooping far more then a leghhorns comb typically droops. She is lethargic and Is constantly drinking but not eating. The rare times she eats she throws her head back like she drinking, unlike my other chickens. Her crop feels full but I can't check my other chickens to compare, they wont let me. I think this is a impacted crop or something respiratory. Any ideas?

Hot summer temps can cause birds to slack off laying eggs, including 1.5 year old Leghorns. They also drink alot of water when it's hot. Inspect her for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. Your hen was in the nest box for 4 hours, she could be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 20 minutes. Massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help her move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay an egg.

I'm thinking eggbound also, but it could be an impacted or sour crop. Is there a gross smell coming from her mouth? How is she standing?

Purple comb means there is a lack of blood/oxygen to her comb, and that her organs are in distress.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. Tomorrow morning i will check her crop and see if she's eggbound, if so I am confident in my ability to heal her. I starting to get nervous because a 2nd hens comb is blue, she is also lethargic. I have yet to check her crop. Could a type of worm or mite do this...if so fingers point to my new rooster.

OK, in the morning I will take some close ups, nothing I can do today, its 9:30 at night right know where I am. Thanks for the help.

Well, today when I checked on them to see how they are. One, still has a purple comb, but she is running around like a normal hen. But my other one, is still sick. She's not purple anymore but she is still lethargic and puffed up. Just sleeping and roosting all day. My chickens never let me get to close or touch them, but with her I now can.

Hm, she doesn't have a respiratory illness, but she may be eggbound. Has she pooped? Feel around for an egg in her vent or abdomen. Have they been wormed recently?

She did poop, mostly watery, but that is because she's been drinking a lot of water recently. I can not feel a egg but I will check again and compare to another chicken. They never been wormed before.

Back
Top Bottom