Purple combs and wattles

AmadeusFarms

Hatching
Sep 18, 2020
Thursday morning, the combs and wattles on two of my six hens were blue. Yesterday they'd gone purple, and remain that way now.

They show no signs of distress and their behavior/ activity level hasn't changed one iota. They run, scratch, eat, drink, and engage in all the same behavior as the other girls, and show no signs of being short of breath. If their color wasn't off you wouldn't think there was a thing wrong with them.

We've examined them for mites and didn't see any, or any other parasites. Their feathers are clean and fluffy and their vents seem fine- no discoloration, discharge, or anything to indicate a problem.

they do have one odd trait- they sleep on the floor under the roosts rather than in the roosts themselves. There is room for them and we've put them up there before but they jump right off. But they've slept like that since we added them to our flock over a year ago, and this color problem has never occurred before.

They seem to be three and four in the pecking order.

I'm at a loss, and any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Can you post photos of these purple combs? How old are they?
A1C64BFB-204D-4BF2-A535-39A5F3BE8556.jpeg
F495731E-6AFD-477C-BC20-4107953E5868.jpeg

These are the best pictures I could on short notice; I can go out with my wife late this morning and get better ones if necessary.

As to age, I'm unsure. We took this pair over from an elderly lady who couldn't care for them, and she couldn't recall how old they were. We've had them since July of 2020 and we estimated they were eighth months to three years when we got them.

Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere, the hens would be going into molt, so that can account for part of the comb color changes. But the one with the darkest comb may have a respiratory issue as @Eggcessive is alluding to.

Back
Top Bottom