Purple combs! Help!!

When they are a little overcrowded, moisture can build up and will cause respiratory problems and the frostbite burns you're seeing. With a coop like yours, if they have access outside the enclosure, it would not be impossible to turn the open-air areas into real walls, and floor with some plywood, and increase the space a great deal.

When they are a little overcrowded, moisture can build up and will cause respiratory problems and the frostbite burns you're seeing. With a coop like yours, if they have access outside the enclosure, it would not be impossible to turn the open-air areas into real walls, and floor with some plywood, and increase the space a great deal.
Should I make the ventilation holes bigger?

It's likely more due to the number of birds confined to a limited space than it is due to lack of ventilation holes. Think of it as several people stuck in an elevator all night. I'd go bigger.

I had 4BOs, 2 had large combs/wattles & I noticed it would get "purplish". Read it was circulation, however there were no other issues (breathing, heat, ventilation, etc ... ) The coloring would come & go. They got fed fermented Flock Raiser, water changed every and lots of ventilation (pic of enclosure
DSC04037.JPG
8x12x7), I got 3 - 4 eggs a day & it's not frostbite ... Never figured out what the problem was, they were rehomed & the new owner says she see it off & on but they're fine ... Following in to learn what more it could have been.

Back
Top Bottom