1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Purring chicken, happy sound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MattalynsBarn, Mar 28, 2011.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    When a chicken purrs, is she happy?

2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I believe so... I think it is called trilling.

I had not heard it before until we got our silkies and one started doing it while sitting on my daughter's lap. It's so cute.

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I've read that it is a happy, contented sound. After my flock stops pushing each other around on the roosts at night and settles down, I usually hear trilling from a few pullets. We had to isolate one of the pullets b/c she had an injured leg, so we let her recuperate in a large dog crate inside the house. She would trill pretty often. I really got to know the full range of sounds they make while she was in the house!

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    My girls do that all the time and I assume they are happy, to me it sounds like cooing, the way a baby does.

5. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Lulu, our lame, part-time house chicken does it all the time, especially when she is cuddled on my lap on snuggled into a throw rug she has pulled around her so it is "just right". It is a very contented sound.

6. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    My new mama hen did it when she had all her chicks settled underneath her...it's a very contented sound. [​IMG]

Angela

7. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    Arlo does that all the time! It makes me happy to hear it.

8. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    i think chickens are a lot smarter than most people think---that purring is show of contentment----trust ,and i guess---chicken love---we as chicken people have all heard it , especially when we show a expression of talking to them in a soft voice , or just snuggle bugging with them--nuff said here--[​IMG].

9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My girls purr when they are full safe and nestled next to their best friends [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Our Silkie who just adopted 5 babies is purring. It is soooo sweet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by