Pus colored poop dripping from vent...

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
I have no idea what's going on with my poor Rosie. This morning she was isolated for respiratory infection symptoms (cough-like honk, rattling in chest, decrease in appetite, lethargy) and now she has a creamy, pus-colored substance dripping from her vent. I have NO idea what it is, but she's isolated with another hen who is suffering from congestion...but now their symptoms don't look anything alike.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Here are some pics I got...

DSCN2424.jpg

DSCN2425.jpg

*sigh* Anybody? I don't know if this girl will make it through the night, but any clues as to what's going on with her would be nice
sad.png

i can think of two possibilities for the pus like stuff...either an infection in the vent....perhaps then antibiotics would be needed...or she has had an egg break inside her.
it is possible she also has a respitory infection going on too. is she wheezing? breathing ok? any discharge from the nose or beak?
if the only symptom is a honk like cough it could possibly be something stuck in her throat (piece of grain, small stone, hay/straw) have you had a peek in there?

is there any noticable smell around her back end?
when was the last time she laid?
how old is she?

Last edited:
There is no noticeable smell around her vent, I'm not sure when the last time she laid was, she went broody and was we broke her. I think the last time we got 6/6 eggs was only last week though. We've gotten 5/6 the last few days. She is only 11 months old, and yes, her as well as the other quarantined hen are both suffering from something respiratory although they do not have discharge as of now. their symptoms started yesterday and today they do not look great at all.

Is it possible it's coccoidosis? She's normally a very active hen and has been sitting in the quarantined pen with her eyes closed rather than trying to get out. This morning she still has a white substance dripping out of her, but I can't get in and look at the droppings she had during the night. She also is not interested in eating or drinking...which is making it hard to give her antibiotics for her respiratory problems
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom