Put chicks in coop

JoePa

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Lehigh County Pa.
My 9 chicks are now 3 weeks old - they are doing great in the brooder which has a ceramic heat lamp - the brooder is on my enclosed patio - would it be ok to put them in my coop if I put the heater somewhere in the coop in case they need heat - right now it gets in the low 70s at night - the size of the brooder is 2’ x 5’ x 2’ - it seems big enough but the chicks look like they are ready for more room - what do you think - they are not feathered out yet but the heat lamp would be a source of warmth - thanks

3 weeks is early and low 70s is pretty chilly. Generally folks wait until they are fully feathered out.

Lots of people will set up a very safe/covered outdoor pen for the chicks during nice weather to give them a little outside time.

Put my now 3 week old chicks out a week ago. Low to mid 70s here at night. Low to mid 90s during the day. They have their heating plate, but don't use it at all and they're doing just fine.

My 3 week olds have been in the coop for 2 weeks. The first week or a little more was under a heat lamp during the nights, but I haven't used it in a little bit. They have a space to run around in the coop during the day, but they still sleep in the brooder (in the coop) at night. The lowest outdoor temperature at night has been about 60. They have lots of feathers, and lots of company in the sectioned off coop so it stays warm enough in there. They can't wait to get out and run around in the morning. Your babies will love it and they should be fine.

Thanks for the replies - I have one other related question - the coop has sand for the bedding - is there a danger of the chicks eating the sand and getting sick

Back
Top Bottom