Put down a mouse :(

I hate cruelty of any kind to animals. Flushing a live mouse is very cruel indeed and I cannot agree with that. Neither do I use glue traps that tear their legs off.
At least you did the right thing and put this poor critter mouse out of its missery and drowned it. - Good for you. Also you decided to share that with BYC which means you did actually feel something for the suffering of that creature.
I am not a tree hugger - I also kill mice. I have had to do a regular cull as they seem to get everywhere. When I get one the trap hasn;t killed out right I take a rock to its head and do the job. As I said I hate and abore cruelty to any critter. It is certainly not sentimental to feel and have a concsience.
Mice are incredible creatures and are lovely and cute to watch. I have brought up baby mice and also had to dispose of mice too. I have fed dead mice to my hens. I wont however feed live mice to any creature. It simply doesn;t sit well with me to watch them suffer. - The hens eat the dead ones just as well! When one poor mouse decided to accidently flee into the hen run DH was upset at the sight of the hens tearing it apart he even wanted me to rescue it. But of course hens are pretty perficient at killing so it was not a good day for the mouse. I am so glad my DH has a heart and cannot let animals suffer.

I know there are some who would outright disagree and state all sorts of diseases etc that mice carry as an excuse to kill mame and hurt them. I have no issue with a clean kill. I do however have issue in letting a mouse or any animal linger in pain for hours - its just not right.

Oesdog
hmm.png

Quote:
They are, after all, little feathered dinosaurs. I like the signature of a member who says 'they don't have chickens, they have mini feathered velociraptors.' No kindness to the weak.

Do you think they could eat rats without getting sick? I'm sure they could eat it, I'm just concerned that rats also carry diseases. Portland has a terrible city rat problem, I caught one in a trap outside the coop the other day, and I know there's another one in the area because I've heard and seen it (there's probably hundreds on the whole block). That one outsmarted the trap a couple days in a row, so I got a different kind (larger trip plate) and haven't put it out yet. I'd never used a rat trap before - those things are huge - nothing's surviving that.

These are not the brown, mouse-looking country rats. Therse are nasty grey-black city rats - ugh. Nothing cute about them. I saw a rat at the pet supply store the other day that was the same color - who wants to buy one that looks like vermin?

I wonder how many chickens a rat would feed for a day?

Back
Top Bottom