Put eggs in the bator 9-9-12 anyone want to hatch along????? :0)

I have 2 hygrometers that are reading the same and 1 that is reading a little lower. I'm going to drive myself bonkers over this!
It must have just been a fluke. It probably didn't help that they were shipped eggs either.

I'd definitely aim for less humidity next time around. 55% is far too high IMO.

Is your incubator reading differently than your hydrometers? I wonder if it is just mine that is faulty, and if so, I should call the vendor who sold it to me and request a new one.

I hope ya'll don't mind if I put my 2 cents in. In the past I have ran my humidity between 50 and 60 percent at have had great hatches. Of course with those my temps did stayed really steady. I have just recently started trying to keep my humidity lower in the beginning because, people were telling me my humidity was two high. Then my last two hatches were mailed eggs and the hatch was poor and then the last one was 0 out of 0. I guess my point is my vote is the bad hatch rate might have to do with the mailed eggs and not the humidity. You should give some local fertilized eggs a shot. That way you can figure out if your problem is the way you are incubating or if it is just bad luck with mailed eggs.
wink.png
Oh yea, and with shipped eggs I have gotten some that hatched great and some that were complete no goes. I think a lot just has to do with how they are handled in the mail.

Good luck,
Michelle

I want to give some local eggs a shot, but I'm really only interested in SFH. I don't want to hatch a bunch out that I have to get rid of. After this hatch I'll be done till spring, by then my Swedes will be laying and I'll try and hatch out my own. I SO Can't wait!! I candled my eggs again that are due to hatch on the 17th, 9 are growing and moving LOTS! I'm not getting my hopes up, tho. We will see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated.

I hope ya'll don't mind if I put my 2 cents in. In the past I have ran my humidity between 50 and 60 percent at have had great hatches. Of course with those my temps did stayed really steady. I have just recently started trying to keep my humidity lower in the beginning because, people were telling me my humidity was two high. Then my last two hatches were mailed eggs and the hatch was poor and then the last one was 0 out of 0. I guess my point is my vote is the bad hatch rate might have to do with the mailed eggs and not the humidity. You should give some local fertilized eggs a shot. That way you can figure out if your problem is the way you are incubating or if it is just bad luck with mailed eggs. ;)  Oh yea, and with shipped eggs I have gotten some that hatched great and some that were complete no goes. I think a lot just has to do with how they are handled in the mail.

Good luck,
Michelle
If you were to put a hydrometer under a broody hen, her humidity is not that high ;)

I would say at least keep it under 50%. You shouldn't worry about humidity at all. Just watch the air cells on the eggs. If growing to fast, add water, if not growing much at all, don't add water. My air cells are perfect by day 18. My background humidity is quite high though. My basement never goes lower than 60%. We had to buy a dehumidifier because it was so humid our sheets felt disgusting (we have our bedroom in the basement until renovations are complete for our in-law's addition).

I've never hatched shipped eggs. Can't give any advice on that.

If my bantam Ameraucana rooster doesn't perform, I'm going to have to consider AI :sick

Back
Top Bottom