Put him on a diet?

RogerTheChicken

Songster
6 Years
May 17, 2014
i have a 4 year old bb bronze turkey named Gilbert who loves food and is sweet as can be. I bought him in October and he was extremely overweight, probably for thanksgiving, he has lost a little weight, lately he has been slowing down a bit, do I need to stop feeding him, I love him to death and it would break my heart if he had a heart attack :hit what do I do? He weighed 52 lbs when we got him now he weighs 43lbs.

Last edited:
They are genetically large. Cutting his feed entirely will stress his body. Instead of grains, offer him greens and veggies. He may not take to a diet of grass all at once, but our birds prefer grass to grain once they get out on it for a couple of days.

I would love to see more "experienced" replies to this "diet" plan.... I believe I have a BBB hen, and would love to know a healthy, but nutritional plan.... my turkey is out all day on 2 acres and has plenty of grass and bugs to eat... is that enough? I am currently feeding her mixed flock crumbles, and she gets an apple every morning.... can, or should I stop the crumbles?

Gilbert is not doing so well, he isn't eating much, he doesn't want to walk around, he has a green slimy poop, he still is very talkative and cocky, I don't want to loose him. Any replies will be helpful :hit

Back
Top Bottom