Put me back on the waiting list!

dacasodivine

Songster
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
I told my boss I was thinking having some dark brown egg layers might be cool. So, she told me she has order 3 Cucoo Marans and 3 Welsummers!

She said that someone she talked to said they need special care? Does anyone know about that?

I'm so excited! More babies! And I have 3 ready-to-lay pullets coming next week. 1 Leghorn, 1 black star, and 1 red star.

Danette

Thanks, Ibpboo.

Thanks, Silkiechicken. You said to treat them like any other non-crested breed. Does that mean crested need special care? I have two polish and am treating them like the others.

I'm silly, because I do not know what crested and non crested means. Something to do with the combs on their heads?
idunno.gif

Quote:
I have a dozen polish coming in a few weeks, and all I found as far as special care for them was that their crests limit their vision and in the winter may get wet when they drink and freeze their heads.

To avoid this, either put the crests up in pony tails or trim them back.

This is what I have been told, no experience yet since mine haven't hatched yet!

Ibpboo, crested are like the top hatters. They have a poof or cap of feathers on top.

equine chick, I asked my boss what special care they needed. She has meet someone local that she talks chicken with and the woman told her she used to have marans and welsummers and they needed to freerange and were too much trouble. Or something like that. I've looked online and other than saying they are good foragers, it doesn't say they have special requirements.

Danette

Critter, thanks. I'm in SE Texas so freezing is not often a problem here.

I had not originally wanted polish but my boss added two to my list thinking I might like them. I'm glad she did. They are turning out to be my favorites. They are Golden Laced. I'm hoping one might be a roo. Polish roos are just the coolest looking thing. All the others should be pullets.

Back
Top Bottom