puttin one week old chicks outside.

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
My chicks hatched last saturday and i have them in a shallow rubbermaid container in the house. there are 20 little banty chicks in there. i was thinking about putting them outside in the garage with a heat lamp. the brroder is a heavy black plastic and its in a garage with a concert floor. will they be ok out side with a heat lamp?

Where are you located? It depends on the weather, but it may still be too drafty in a garage, in late February. You also want to be careful with a heat lamp, and any plastic-it may be heavy duty, but those heat lamps get pretty hot. My brooder is one of those heavy duty 75 gallon Livestock tanks, and when one of my heat lamps slipped off it's handle, and was touching the side of the tank, it started to melt.

I'm up in South Dakota, and as much as I want to order chicks, I don't dare (shipping wise) but even when I order in March or April, I keep them inside the house until they are completely feathered, and then some
smile.png
Bantys are even smaller then normal chicks, and what I would consider not "quite"as hardy. Good luck with them!
jumpy.gif

Hey chickencity - my 2-day olds are in their brooder in the garage. I've puttered with the heat lamp before they got here to make sure I could keep the temp at the right level. It's been warmer than usual here the past couple of days, so it hasn't been that big a deal yet, but I raised chicks in a brooder in the garage last year - it was a lot colder - and I didn't have any troubles in my garage.

So I would think if you can keep the temperature in their brooder at the appropriate range and avoid drafts, it would be fine for you to put their brooder in your garage.

im in north carolina. close to va. i was palnning on selling some of the chicks and i dont really want people coming in out of my house and having to walk through my bed room to get to the spare room were the chicks are. i figured if they had a heat lamp it would be the same thing as them being in the house.

Back
Top Bottom