Putting 2 groups of chicks together?

love_my_hens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
CA Gold Country
I recently hatched 22 eggs using 4 broody hens. This is the first time I have done this as opposed to buying more chicks. As it turned out, the only good mother is my Buff. The Jersey mothers got into a fighting match and their chicks had to be raised w/o a hen. My question is: can I return the Buff hen back into the adult flock and put both groups of 6 wk old chicks together?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I incubate 300 eggs at time and I use several different brooders. After two to three weeks, I always put all my chicks together in the nursery pen, and I havent had a problem with mixing them all together, they should co exist. Personally, if it were me, I would put them all together and put the Buff back into her flock. Good luck.

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but I am watching this as I have a similar question.

Are you concerned that the buff momma won't accept the other chicks or that the chicks will fight with each other?

Thanks all. I had experimented with putting one chick in with the hen several weeks ago and several of her chicks hounded the new one. The hen gave the chick a quick jab also, so I pulled her out and decided to wait. We have now reconfigured the "chick" enclosed area by doubling the size and put in a temporary run to an even larger pasture, giving plenty o' room for both sets of chicks.

Thanks again for the input.

BELOW IS WHAT I POSTED 5 MINUTES AGO...HAVE MY OWN TROUBLES...SO LOOKING FOWARD TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE HAS TO SAY:

So I unsuccessfully attempted to intergrate my 3 6 week old girls with my 2 16 week girls..the big girls r being nasty...and my mom is trying to intergrate he 2 6 week old girls with her 3 16 week old girls..not going well...chickies r scared and big girls r mean. So I went to my mom's today and took her 3 16 week olds and put them in my coop...my 2 16 week olds are free ranging...will they flip out when the come back to the coop and see the new roomates?????
I gave my 3 6 week olds to my mom..so now she has 5 6 week old chickies...At least I know the 5 6 week old girls will get along because they have been together in the brooder since we got them...my mom will have it easy..but what about me????[/

Back
Top Bottom