Putting a chicken down?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eme, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Eme

Eme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Vancouver
    So after a lot of work feeding her, and some improvement (yesterday she looked really good, walking around), today I find she has taken a turn for the worst and seems pretty much paralyzed. I am pretty sure it is Marek's now, and not botulism. I think it is time to put her down. Nobody in my family has the heart to do it, so I am wondering who can I go to, to do it humanely and inexpensively? Also, I have seen in other posts about conducting tests to determine what the cause of death was? Where /what types of places can I get that done? And how much is it to get done? (If it helps, I live in Vancouver, BC)

I take my parrot to an avian vet, but it is really really pricey for just an appointment. Is there some sort of cheaper poultry vet?

Last case scenario, if the vets are too expensive, what is a humane way we can put her down ourselves?

Thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can do it if you are really sure it is the thing to do. Read in the meat bird section.

Sorry for your troubles.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by