Putting a piece of Copper in water to stop Algae growth?

I know copper prohibits plant growth. Paint the inside of a plant pot with copper sulfate and the roots of a plant will maintain a distance from the sides to avoid it. Our septic guy told us to maintain a root-free leach field by pouring a quart of copper sulfate into the toilet once a year. The tree roots will avoid it.

Given that algae is a plant...seems logical.

So what is the benefit to just washing your waterer? fresh water is better than slimey alge water. Just scrub it and refresh the water.
Some times the algae will grow faster than the time in which the waterer would normally need cycled so it helps to have alternatives.

Some times the algae will grow faster than the time in which the waterer would normally need cycled so it helps to have alternatives.
I think he was referring to washing a refreshing daily, which is the only way to prevent algae and also the best for the birds 👍

There is a point where copper becomes toxic. I don’t know how you’d measure how much copper you’re exposing them (and then you via eggs) to. Personally, I am not willing to risk their health or my own. Copper toxicity can cause a lot of physical and mental health issues.

A friend recently told me that you can put a piece of copper in your water and it will help stop algae from growing. I tried looking it up on google but couldn't find anything specifically about it. Has anyone else heard of doing this? Does it work? Could it pose any health risks to chickens?
My understanding is that a copper pipe does work to eliminate algae, but I haven't been able to find is how much toxicity does the pipe give off and what is safe.

There is a point where copper becomes toxic. I don’t know how you’d measure how much copper you’re exposing them (and then you via eggs) to. Personally, I am not willing to risk their health or my own. Copper toxicity can cause a lot of physical and mental health issues.
The amount of copper it would take for the ppm to reach a toxic level is staggering. There is no way it would happen with just a piece of pure copper in the water. That would be like believing cooking on cast iron will cause you to have too much iron in your diet...a myth that has been disproven multiple times. It also doesn't add an appreciable amount to your diet, so you can't make up for an iron poor diet just by cooking on cast iron. Same thing with a copper piece in the water.

As for why not flushing and scrubbing daily...If I had to flush and scrub daily, I'd go through so much water it would be insane. It's just not worth it.

I don't, however, use pennies. I use actual, pure copper coins. You can get them from any coin dealer for next to nothing. Some people just cut copper grounding rods; however, most of those aren't actually pure copper. They are copper molecularly bonded to another metal.

Scientifically? Citations, please.
  1. Dick, R. J.; Wray, J. A.; Johnston, H. N. (1973), "A Literature and Technology Search on the Bacteriostatic and Sanitizing Properties of Copper and Copper Alloy Surfaces", Phase 1 Final Report, INCRA Project No. 212, June 29, 1973, contracted to Battelle Columbus Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
  2. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA165 (this is more about aquariums than watering systems for poultry; but, the datum is worth reviewing. It also tends to focus on chelated copper and copper sulfate rather than pure copper. Also realize the levels they are talking are nothing like what a backyard chicken environment would be.).
There are quite a few others if you do a search on "studies copper algae".

You will find copper sulfate is the most common item discussed when referencing algae control as it is the most commonly sold item for use in pool and large aquarium maintenance, etc. Anecdotal evidence has been provided over many years that simple, pure copper in small environments like a single horse water trough, bird bath, waterer for backyard poultry, etc works effectively to retard algae growth, as well. Of course, this requires the copper to be cleaned of corrosion on a regular basis.

As someone else mentioned, vinegar in the water will help with retarding algae growth, though you don't want to combine the two as the corrosion on the copper will be accelerated if the water is acidified. Quick reference for vinegar to combat algae (https://www.chefsresource.com/will-vinegar-kill-algae-in-the-water-tank/).

I have copper in some of my waterers and use vinegar in others. It's really just a matter of choice, to be frank. Unless you're using copper sulfate or are exposing the copper in the waterer to high pressure flow, the ppm of copper in your waterer should be negligible. However, even as you want to test the ph of your water if you're using vinegar, you will want to do occasional tests for copper concentration, as well.

Both ph test kits and copper are easy to find in a plethora of locations.

How's that for a long reply to a zombie thread? ;)

Back
Top Bottom