putting a shower drain in a kiddie pool

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
wanna do this, but i can't imagine the local hardware store selling anything BUT glue that would be TOXIC, even though it will harden, i grant.some have used aquarium glue but walmart at least don't have it..........anyone done this yet?

I have bought food grade, what is used on aquariums, of GE silicone at Home Depot in the past. Your local hardware store may even carry it. That should fit you needs.

thanks

katharina, i was hoping you'd post on this thread. i read about your thoughts on putting in a drain in that 30 walmart pool. i've got one and i figure the drain would have to go in the middle of the floor and not where the little plug is. the angle would be just too weird to make it watertight. i'd say the same for the 10 and 15 dollar pools too. in the floor middle-ish if anywhere. i am interested in what you end up doing or have done

The smaller pools don't even have a small plug. I've seen some brass fittings that can fit it and you can connect a garden hose to drain it. That will take some time to go down on the big one, but I think doing it with the small one may be an idea. I can then lift and rinse once empty. Right now hubby has to do that. The biggest pool I have will get 4" pipes from below with a shower drain smack into the center. I will put some plywood on top in a ring form so the pool will be a little bit lower in the center. Its the black pipes I use and it does need a special glue. I've also got some silicone for getting the seal tight onto the pool. That 4" drain will drain it in 0 seconds flat.
tongue.png
I have some old redwood decking from a deck that had termites in its foundation. The wood is not that nice anymore, but if I sand and seal it will last a few more years. So my current idea is to use a plastic pallet (I import German stuff and have tons of them around) underneath it for the plumbing and build a deck around it with stairs going up. That will drive them nuts. It will take me a couple of days to complete, since we are also in the middle of fencing in 1 acre for the ducks to roam around in. That is hard work as is. We use soaker hoses to get the soil to loosen up, but we have tons of rocks in it. We have already set the end poles into concrete and started putting the t-poles in. On top of that we have my husband's sister coming. It's all crazy right now. A new duck house is also in the plans and has to be done before our sales season hits. So much to do and never enough time.

I vote for silicon... comes in all shaped tubes and whatnot but it all boils down to 100% silicon... I get mine in a big caulk gun type tube at Dollar General for a whopping $2... the "Aquarium Sealant" at the pet store was like $5 for a toothpaste size tube... BOTH said 100% silicon on the back... lesson learned. Leave it for 24 hours and it's cool... if it doesn't upset the PH balance/safety of fresh and salt water aquariums around the globe I doubt it'll do much to a duck... once set of course.

you might look at a kitchen sink drain fastens this may serve you better most use compression fittings and no glue look in the DIY plumbing section

Back
Top Bottom