Putting baby chicks with a hen that has chicks

jockeyeba

Crowing
Nov 27, 2010
San Antonio area
Have a American Game hen that hatched who knows where that showed up with 8 chicks, 2 days before I heard chicks peeping & found 2 chicks at the back of the yard, no mother, have them in box with a light, etc. It's possible they are from the same hen that showed up 3 days later. My question is: can I put them in with her, maybe under her at night?, They look to be the same general age.......

Have a American Game hen that hatched who knows where that showed up with 8 chicks, 2 days before I heard chicks peeping & found 2 chicks at the back of the yard, no mother, have them in box with a light, etc. It's possible they are from the same hen that showed up 3 days later. My question is: can I put them in with her, maybe under her at night?, They look to be the same general age.......
How long has it been? How old are they now?

You can try, yes at night.

Keep an eye out they are keeping up with the others and she isn't singling them out and pecking them first thing when she brings them out in the morning... Make sure they figured out how to warm up under mama and such. :fl

I just put them in with her & the other 8 chicks tonight, it's dark, I'm beginning to think that they are actually her chicks, that something tried to get them in the woods & somehow these 2 made it all the way to our backyard. She showed up 2 days later with 8 chicks, she always hatches 12-14. I'll see if it worked in the morning :fl

Back
Top Bottom