Putting chicks outside full time

Kristen616

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
I live in Upstate NY and it's been in the 50's-60's during the day but in the low 30's at night. I have 4 chicks that are 6 weeks and 2 that are 5 weeks. The 6 weekers look just about fully feathered to me, and the 5 weekers are close. They have been outside all day every day in a small pen I made for them with a child play yard and they love it out there. They are doing great and very happy being outside, but I bring them inside at night.

Our coop is finished and my husband is just about done with getting the pen completely enclosed. Do you think it would be ok for them to start being outside full time soon? We have a large heat lamp that will go inside the coop - so as long as I close the windows at night and keep the heat lamp on, they should be ok, right?

If you have the ability to have a heat lamp, they were ready the day you brought them home.
Mine go out the day they come out of the hatcher.
A broody hen doesn't heat all the ambient air, only the space under her - just like a heat lamp.
Given the greater space out there, they'll probably wean themselves from the lamp in 2 or 3 days.

This helps a lot - thank you all! I love my chickens and all but I'm ready for them to live outside full time, LOL! My house is starting to smell like a barn!

If I had chicks in the house more than 5 minutes my wife would move me and the chicks to the coop.

lol!!!! Well my husband is just playing along with my chicken rearing. I have 2 year old twins and instead of another baby he let me get chickens! haha! But we both are ready for them to move outside! Now that I can tell him it's "safe" for them to be outside, maybe he'll finish up the pen quicker!

Keep them locked in the coop 3 days so they get used to where to sleep and they'll put themselves to bed at night so you don't have to herd them.
That will give him time to finish the pen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom