Bakedwitch

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Columbus, OH
I'm in ohio. It's currently in the 40s with lows getting down into the 20s for a few more days still as I'm finishing up the coop and run. They are barred rocks and are 7 weeks. Will be about 8 by the time the coop is finished up. They have plenty of space still where they are I'm just ready for them to be outside. Temps are jumping up to 50s/60s next week. nights are jumping up too but fluctuating much more between 30s-50s. They sure are looking like some real chickens and much less like dinosaurs 😅

You will need to acclimate them to the colder temps.

If they are in a room you can close off from the rest of the house and not on added heat that makes it easier.

I would start by closing off the room and turning off heat or closing the vent in that room. After a day or two leave the window open in there during the day or better yet...if you are home during the day...have them outside once it is above 55-60°F several days in a row then take them out when it's cooler out. Within a couple weeks they should be ready to live outside full time.

You will need to acclimate them to the colder temps.

If they are in a room you can close off from the rest of the house and not on added heat that makes it easier.

I would start by closing off the room and turning off heat or closing the vent in that room. After a day or two leave the window open in there during the day or better yet...if you are home during the day...have them outside once it is above 55-60°F several days in a row then take them out when it's cooler out. Within a couple weeks they should be ready to live outside full time.
A couple WEEKS? I took them out a couple days ago for a few minutes and planned to take them out for the next couple of days till the coop was ready. They're currently in my basement, I couldn't give a temp off my head but it's definitely cooler down there

Here is next week, I don't see the weather dropping again. My goal is to have the coop and run done by Wednesday and I read you were supposed to put them in there for a few days and keep them in there to get them used to home? I hope it is helpful to give a better idea of my situation 🤗

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-100422.png
    Screenshot_20210305-100422.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
A couple WEEKS? I took them out a couple days ago for a few minutes and planned to take them out for the next couple of days till the coop was ready. They're currently in my basement, I couldn't give a temp off my head but it's definitely cooler down there
:hugs WITHIN a couple weeks. :hugs

A lot will depend on how they are handling the transition and your observation of them will be the best gauge.
If they huddle together and act cold when it's 50° they need more time. If they are huddling when it's 40° but are acting like fine at 50° maybe just bring them in on cold nights.

:hugs WITHIN a couple weeks. :hugs

A lot will depend on how they are handling the transition and your observation of them will be the best gauge.
If they huddle together and act cold when it's 50° they need more time. If they are huddling when it's 40° but are acting like fine at 50° maybe just bring them in on cold nights.
Thank you for the clarification 🥰 they LOVED being out a few days ago I was actually pretty proud of myself for swooping them up so quickly and getting them rounded up haha I was considering getting a heated roost for them but really wasn't sure if it would be worth it to splurge since winter is damn near over, perhaps they go on sale like other seasonal things? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom