Putting different aged chicks together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have 8 chicks, four of them are 5 weeks and the other four are 4 weeks, I have had them together, and they have been fine. Yesterday I was given 4 barred rock and 2 Buffs that are 6 weeks or so but are a little bigger than mine and full feathered when mine still have some awkward feathers. What do I need to do before I put them together? I have just built a new run and am building a coop today, do I need to keep them separated until they get older or put them together now so they can get their pecking order established?

I will be keeping them quarantined away from my other chicks for a while but I am concerned they will fight when I do put them together

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As long as you quarentine...

When you put them together there will be a squabble or two... but they are young enough, and close enough to the same age, they should integrate quickly.

Good Luck!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's easy to integrate when they are young. When you are done with your quarantine, put them together at night. They'll be some minor scuffles, but they'll quickly get over it.

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    thanks for the advice, I have put chicks the same size together in the past and there was alot of picking on the smaller chicks, they would hide in the coup from the bigger chicks and just grab food and water and run. Is that a normal reaction to being put in with chicks that are a bit bigger? I have always worried the smaller chickens would not be getting enough food or water if they hide all day from the bullies, I know they have to have a pecking order but it seems they are really scared when you put them in with some that are a little bigger.

The new ones I have are only 2-3 weeks older than the ones I already had but the size difference is pretty noticeable so that is what concerns me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by