Putting eggs under a first time broody hen

linsybird

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
Oklahoma
Hey everyone, I have a first time broody hen. She’s a satin silkie, about 7 months old. I am ridiculously excited about having a broody hen, so I don’t want to get too ahead of myself, but how long should I wait before putting fertilized eggs under her?

I would think it better to give it a few days, especially since she's young. You don't want to put eggs under her and then find out she was just playing or practicing or just not completely set yet.

I would think it better to give it a few days, especially since she's young. You don't want to put eggs under her and then find out she was just playing or practicing or just not completely set yet.
This is her third day being broody, do you think that would be a good time? I’m planning on picking up some cheap eggs from a neighbor, so it’s won’t be a huge loss if it doesn’t work out.

When I have a broody I wait until she's been in the nest most the day and all night for 2-3 days...along with those other signs I posted.

Then I put her in the broody enclosure with fake eggs in the floor nest, she won't like being moved, but if she is truly good and broody she will settle onto the new nest within a half a day.
Then I give her fresh fertile eggs and mark the calendar.

I like them separated by wire from the flock, it's just easier all around.
No having to mark eggs and remove any additions daily, no taking up a laying nest, no going back to the wrong nest after the daily constitutional.

I remove barrier about one week after hatch. The chicks are usually safe it's the broody who has to 'fight' her way back into the pecking order...which can be quick or take a few days.

Lots of space helps for re-integration.

Back
Top Bottom