Putting eggs under broody hen

bstarr20

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Louisiana
should this be done at night? I think I read that somewhere. Also she is standard cochin, eggs are bantam. How many can she set on? I have 18+ coming and can send some down the road to a neighbor witha bator.

In my experience, it doesn't have to be done at night. A broody hen is happy to have eggs anytime! We have banties, and they have sometimes built up a clutch of 18 eggs or more to sit on, out in our yard under a bush. We have never let them keep that many under them in our henhouse nest boxes, but maybe it would be okay with a standard-size hen.

My concern would be if the nest box is big enough to hold them all comfortably, without eggs banging into each other too much. We have occasionally had eggs get cracked too early.

Last edited:
I dunno: I had a Wyandotte (big girl) with 12 under her & it seemed about right. Eighteen would take special care. Perhaps when you candle at day 8, 9 or so, some will be pitched. Also, I would recommend a nest bigger than the standard 12x12 milk crate. My hen was in a dresser drawer made into a nest.

Back
Top Bottom