Putting in a new lawn with free-range chickens

Aztecsue1

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2015
Has anyone tried to put in a new lawn with free-range chickens about? If so, what are some tips?

I’m sorry.
My experience:

A half a dozen chickens turned 3/4 of an acre of lush turf and carefully cultivated cozy gardens into a moonscape in a year’s time.
We re-evaluated the free range concept and decided to limit their area.

The second year we’ve spent trying to reestablish grass and gardens.
It’s been a struggle.

I had to train my girls not to eat the neighbor's garden when I took them out in the front yard for a little extra free ranging. My backyard run is denuded :lau It took some doing to keep them from eating their garden. :thWe live in the city.

As the above posters have indicated, it's not a good idea. I also allowed my chickens to roam around doing what chickens do and ended up with a moonscape also. Fence them into their own space and then if you can or if you have the desire to you can sprout stuff just for them. You will hate your chickens if you allow them to get at your newly sowed lawn.... really!

Welcome! Green is good, so how about herbs? A nice mixed planting of mixed ground cover plants, some grasses, oregano, mints, shrubs, and 'weeds', AKA native plants. It will be green when Kentucky bluegrass is brown and ugly, support diverse critters, and do fine.
Mary

I built a 40x40 yard attached to their moonscaped run. I have made an inside apron of 1/2 hardware wire around the inside of the fence (3 feet wide) hoping grass will grow through and they won’t be able to scratch and kill it ( anyone have any luck with this? ) the middle area is plain grass and will probably be dirt in no time.

Back
Top Bottom