Putting in the automatic waterer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2DogsCoop, Mar 18, 2011.

  1. 2DogsCoop

    2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I am getting ready to order the automatic waterer. I was looking at this one http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/poultry_cup_waterer.html
    the only way I can hook this up with is off my well, and it says that it can not be used with more than 5 psi pressure. I was thinking I could install a ball valve and close it down so this could work. What do you think, could it work. I posted in another section of the board about where to put it inside/out of the coop? Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. BellevueOmlet

    BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 10, 2010
    I would look for a cheaper one. They overcharge at McMurry, but I do love the cup waterers. A ball valve would work. So will a u-stop below the line.
  3. 2DogsCoop

    2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:I am not sure what a u-stop is?
  4. gdplum

    gdplum Out Of The Brooder

    Nov 9, 2010
  5. Rikoshe

    Rikoshe Out Of The Brooder

    Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:If you close the valve you will reduce the flow. The pressure will remain the same. You can get a pressure reducer it has a spring in side it and will control the pressure. I would recommend using an elevated "tank" (5 gal bucket, or barrel) to supply the waterers. You can use the float like in a cooler (Lowesand Home Depot sell them ) hooked to your water system to keep the tank full. The pressure in your system will not be an issue at that point. I have seen some drip type waters offered on ebay that are not too pricey. The water cup type will work with this setup also. You can screw a reducer(size not pressuer) in one bung of a 55 gal drum and use pvc pipe it is easy to cut and no threading required.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by